Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

three gauges.

September 13, 2004 07:52PM
Hi,
In my research, I have found three places where the railroad was originally built to 5' gauge, then narrowed to 3' gauge and then converted to standard gauge. Two went into common carrier operation.
The first is the Walton Railroad built as 5' gauge (about 10 miles), taken over by the Gainesville Jefferson and Southern and converted to 3' gauge and finally standard gauged by the Georgia Railroad.
The second is the Cartersville and Van Wert. It was started as 5' gauge for about 10 miles to Taylorsville. After reorganization into the Cherokee railroad, it was extended some 25 miles as 3' gauge WITHOUT converting the first 10 miles of 5' gauge. After another reorganization, the 5' gauge was narrowed to 3' and ten years later the whole thing was standard gauged.
The third was the ET&WNC from Johnson City to Elizabethton. It was built as 5' gauge, had one broad gauge train run on it using a Southern RR locomotive (I do not know if it was for revenue).
It converted to 3' gauge and then opened for common carrier operation. And finally standard gauged.
All three sections are still in opreration today.
Are there any other sections of railroad that had three gauges?
One I can think of is the Cincinati, Georgetown and Portsmith. I know it had 3' gauge and standard gauge. The third gauge I do not recall if it was 42" gauge or if it was 5' gauge. It had all three gauges operating at once.
I also seem to recall that in Australia, there was some tripple gauge trackwork. I think I saw it in Trains magazine.
Any other occurences?
Thanks.
Doug
Subject Author Posted

three gauges.

Douglas vV September 13, 2004 07:52PM

Re: three gauges.

Brian Norden September 13, 2004 09:02PM

CG&P: three gauges.

Dale W. Brown September 14, 2004 12:32PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.