Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Responses

September 08, 2004 04:47PM
Haven't had too much time to post and my e-mail is backed up like a toilet when you call roto-rooter. Figured I'd respond in one message; hope people see it?!
First off, one e-mail regarded the "Rachel", the Vulcan 0-4-0T-turned-2-4-4 by Keystone. Though I don't know the facts, it WAS offered for sale after it was running at Doe River Gorge. Ken Riddle kept her running there, and they couldn't purchase her at the price Gaylord (its owners) wanted which I believe was $250,000. So Gaylord took it back to Nashville, and it is stored. Horribly I must say that they would like to make "Rachel" a display. Somebody said "they want to turn her into cash" and quite frankly, a hotel display engine doesn't turn in any cash whatsoever; it just sits there. A sale gets the cash, and turning a beautiful and operable locomotive into a display is a crime. Originally, the Hillbilly World engine was to be cosmetically restored and traded for display for Rachel or something. Didn't work out, and Rachel is gone from Doe River Gorge. I am presuming Gaylord would still sell Rachel at that price, if somebody could match it. A beautiful oil-fired 2-4-4...diamond-stacked, definitely backdated or "Disney-fied".
Next line of business; the Sumpter Valley cabbage stack comment. My bad...I had thought that the Mallets wore cabbage stacks. I was wrong; sorry about that. I've heard it from a few people on this...simple mistake.
Next thing; Chinese whistles. Asked around more about the stories and apparently those what buy these things get them "in the rough"...literally...the bells were essentially un-machined. They have many times needed to be completely re-machined by their new owners. Multipower says that they switched manufacturers due to poor quality; I am not sure if the whistles pass through them before getting shipped, but it is dissapointing they didn't see the 'crap whistles' that many unlucky people got. I've heard another story of someone who got a beautiful whistle from them and was very happy with it, despite its shrill sound. Thanks Michael for clearing that up; I for some reason thought that Tangshan made the whistles as well...stupid mistake on my part. The Multipower guy was selling a narrow gauge engine...not sure if it was still for sale. A very homely converted 0-4-0T, 42" gauge I believe.
-Ed Kelley
Subject Author Posted

Responses

Ed Kelley September 08, 2004 04:47PM

Re: Responses

Andrew Brandon September 08, 2004 05:45PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.