UNTAH RAILWAY WALKING TOUR

August 21, 2004 10:38PM
Take a Trip on the
Uintah Railway.
Sponsored by the
Rio Grande Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society
And
The Rangely Museum Society
Join us on an all day adventure into Northwestern Colorado and Northeastern Utah to view the route of the Uintah Railway and the ghost towns it left behind when it was abandoned in 1939. Expect to visit Bonanza, White River Station, Dragon, American, Watson, and Rainbow. History talks at various locations along the way provided by Rodger Polley, author of the Uintah Railway Pictorial Books.
Saturday – October 2, 2004
The driving tour will begin in Rangely at 8:30 AM, meeting at the large dirt lot at the corner of Main and White Ave. (the only stop light in town).
Roads will be mostly paved or County maintained gravel roads, but expect higher clearance access to several locations. All areas will be easily accessible from a two wheel drive truck, Jeep, Blazer, etc.
Bring your own lunch, plenty to drink, and good shoes! Participants may choose to walk around some of the sites - this is rough country.
Any questions, feel free to call
Rodger Polley
Work 970-675-2454
Home 970-675-5079
Or email at
rndpolley@centurytel.net
An itinerary follows:
Saturday, October 2, 2004
8 AM - Meet at vacant lot at corner of Main and White Ave., only top light in Rangely.
8:30 AM - Leave Rangely on Hwy 64.
9 AM - Arrive at Cowboy Gilsonite Vein. Basic history of the modern Gilsonite field.
9:15 AM - Arrive at Bonanza, Utah – Walking tour of Bonanza and the old stage stop.
10:00 AM- Arrive at White River Station (Ignacio) on the White River. History of the stage stop, bridge, and the Uintah’s plans for Expansion.
10:30 AM- Arrive at over look of the White River Valley and Shale Oil town in the distance.
11 AM - Arrive at Watson, Utah – Walking tour of the Town of Watson.
11:30 PM- Arrive at Rainbow, Junction – History of the railroad wye in the canyon and the Rainbow Branch.
12:00 PM- Arrive at American Switch, Utah. History of the railroad in this area.
LUNCH BREAK
12:30 PM- Arrive at Barlow-Colorow mine area – 400 yard walk to mine area.
1:15 PM - Arrive at Rainbow, Utah – walking tour of the town, wye, mine, and overlook of the Thimble Rock mine.
2:30 PM - Arrive at Rector siding.
2:45 PM - Arrive at Country Boy siding.
3 PM - Arrive at Dragon City , Utah – Walking tour from north of town to south of town on the main line.
3:45 PM - Arrive at Dragon Mine. Walking tour of the mine area.
HEAD FOR HOME
Subject Author Posted

UNTAH RAILWAY WALKING TOUR

Rodger Polley August 21, 2004 10:38PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.