Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Caboose 0579 Trucks *LINK* *PIC*

August 13, 2004 08:15PM
During Friends of the C&TS Work Session E, we finally got our replica D&RG replica caboose trucks built and under both ends of the car. This has been an on-going saga for 5 years or so, but with their completion, we are definitely getting close to having the caboose ready for service. I will be documenting this in detail on the web site in the coming weeks, but first, I want to recognize all the people who have provided significant help in getting this done (in no particular order):
- Jeff Smith and others I have forgotten who made the initial suggestions to build "the right trucks".
- Charlie Irvin for preparing the journal boxes (including seals) and drilling the holes for the bolsters.
- Dan Pyzel for getting the spring planks made and getting them to Antonito.
- Art Randall for milling the bolsters.
- Jerry Sahnd for arranging to have new bolsters cast.
- Cal Smith for successfully getting grant money to fund the manufacture of the leaf springs.
- The Amherst Railway Society for contributing grant monies for the project.
- Phil Hackman for using his torch cutting and welding skills for modifying the bolsters to accomodate the leaf springs.
- Marvin Casias for providing overall guidence and recommendations.
- Bob Tully and Art Randall for their recommedations for the wheel sets and arch bars.
- Lou Houck for making the side bearing blocks.
- The C&TS Railroad Commission for their support of the project.
- Les Clark for making the bolts and then putting up with us when we realized we needed them longer.
- Richard Gomez for helping us get the springs delivered to Antonito.
- John Cole for making replacement journal box lids.
- Warren Ringer for coordinating the project in my absence.
- Brian Shoup for helping coordinate the acquision of the springs.
- Cal Smith, Wade Hall, Bill Barbour, Lou Houck, Phil Hackman, Bob Mundis, Kevin Corwin, Warren Ringer, Don Huber for assembly and installation of the trucks during Work Session E.
I appologize if I missed somebody.
D&RG Caboose trucks were typically outdated 20-ton trucks modified with leaf springs. We effectively went the same route and learned alot along the way. (Like it's a lot of work to torch out the ends of the bolster to let the spring poke out !). We don't know if the ride will be smoother, but they look good !
Before the work session, we literally had parts in California, Colorado, New Mexico, and Pennsylvania. It's a miracle we got them all in one place, much less all together and under both ends of the car.
I plan on riding in 0579 next June. Photo by Tom Cardin.
Subject Author Posted

Caboose 0579 Trucks *LINK* *PIC*

Bill Kepner August 13, 2004 08:15PM

Great job , Bill !

El Coke August 13, 2004 09:10PM

Re: Caboose 0579 Trucks *LINK* *PIC*

Bill Kepner August 23, 2004 08:20PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.