Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Professionals

July 26, 2004 07:35AM
I'm back from a two week visit to various railroads - Georgetown Loop, C&TS, D&SNG, Sumpter Valley. Thanks to all the folks at every location, who were helpful, cheerful, and made a good impression on this visitor.
The GL is packing the passengers in - I was able to get a ticket for the extra train the day I rode, but most people had been wise enough to make reservations in advance if they wanted to rie theregular train. No. 40 and Shay 12 were in service the day I was there, the Shay handling the extra.
The C&TS is, also running their trains at capacity, but much like twenty years ago, runs one day westbound, one day eastbound, with one day off each week. Lots of happy travelers. I ran out of film here, and found that Kodachrome is NOT available in Chama. Word to the wise - take extra film with you. Nos. 484 and 487 were at work, looked and sounded good.
D&S is one busy railroad. The staff at the Durango depot were attentive and helpful, business seemed brisk, even with the hot weather. The usual afternoon rainstorm broke in Silveton, precluding much photography around town. The locomotives and coaches in service look good, though I must admit that I find the "Alamosa" in maroon at tad bid disconcerting after seeing it in aspen gold for many years. Still, it looks sharp.
The Sumpter Valley people are a class act in every sense of the word. If you are traveling in eastern Oregon on a week end in the summer, you really need to see what they have been doing. The No. 19 performed flawlessly, the crew were helpful and enthusiastic. Most of thecars are ex D&RGW freight cars, but the real prize is the restored SV coach, with a close second SV caboose. The grading to the new Sumpter depot is in, and ballast had been distributed. Work on extending track to the depot is planned for later in the year, I understand.
Thanks to all the folks in Silver Plume, Chama, Durango, and Sumpter. I've enjoyed being your guest. Keep up the good work. I'll be back again.
Charlie Mutschler
Subject Author Posted

Professionals

Charlie Mutschler July 26, 2004 07:35AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.