Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: C & S #9 *PIC*

July 24, 2004 07:16PM
Marlin Uhrich and crew have done some great work, however I had heard the #9 was just being kept there and that the Uhrichs were not performing the restoration. I forget my source on that statement. Oh well.
I've attatched a photo of the Uhrich's beautiful 5-1/2" scale 15" gauge replica of D&RGW K-27 #463 (prototype at C&TS). I believe they are working on a K-28 now. I was told the K-27 replica was being considered for sale at $250,000. It ran for awhile at the Rio Golden RR (Heritage Square, Golden) before returning to Strasburg and getting rebuilt. It's home road is the Uhrich's Comanche Crossing & Eastern, which I understand hasn't been used lately. They have a 2-6-0 there (formerly 2-6-2) and perhaps a third steamer. They have built other steam/gas/diesel narrow gauge locomotives including a 2' gauge Great Northern Consolidation which runs at Roosevelt Park in Minot, North Dakota. The Denver Zoo steam profile was also built at Uhrichs.
Another post here mentioned that the #9 was considered too light to haul the capacities expected at the Georgetown Loop according to the CHS. Well I'm sure its more than adequate to pull a lone caboose with 4 people in it or the other car or two the CHS owns/will own. When the Ashbys move out, no doubt there will be a decline in ridership (most likely by the local residents and railfans) though of course there will be people who are curious to see what the new operation in town is (and will surely walk dissapointed). So though the Uhrichs could get it operating again, if the C&S cuts the funding realizing that the locomotive is not what they want...there will be a locomotive in pieces.
But then again these are just assumptions. I don't remember seeing anything written about the boiler...except it had asbestos lagging.
Keep Steaming,
Ed Kelley
Subject Author Posted

C & S #9

Roger July 24, 2004 06:42PM

Re: C & S #9 *PIC*

Ed Kelley July 24, 2004 07:16PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.