Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LOGGING ASSEMBLY

July 21, 2004 05:05PM
Just met with the directors of the World Forestry Center (Formerly Western Forestry Center) last night and here's what is probably going to happen - I NEED YOUR INPUT.
Dec 31 and Jan 1st 2004 the center wants to usher in the new year* with a logging railroad extravaganza. They will provide the space, publicity, security etc - what we need to do is show up with our models, historical artifacts - anything logging/lumber railroad - related. We will be looking for models, toys, dioramas, pictures etc. Whatever display you can put together. Any and all scales welcome. As an incentive there will be a people's choice contest for various categories. But I hope there will be more -
It is my intention to announce the first Western Logging Historical Assembly (I understand that Western or Northwestern Logging Model Congress is already taken). My understanding is that the event will cover 2-3 days with the centerpiece being models, model displays and historical displays - BUT, I would also like to line up a schedule of clinics, lectures, slide shows etc. on the various subjects. In addition we will have availble space for other possible activities as well.
NOW......this is in NO WAY an attempt to draw away from the fine work that is done by J. Clark and Co. or John Swigert and Co. This will be a "dead of winter" event, when we all would like something like this but there is nothing going on. It is also hoped to carry on the Camp 18 tradition that the late Lyle Noah started that was usually in February. In fact I would dedicate this first event to the recently fallen among us.
*Unlike the other events this would be oriented not only to our own folks - but also to the general public. A chance to share and promote the timber industry and it's history and preservation. The Forestry Center is a first class place and it's scheduled to be completely remodeled the first part of next year. This is a prime opportunity!
Wouldn't it be neat to have presentations on the following?
Oregon's Sumpter Valley Railroad
The Tacoma and Eastern
Model steam logging engines
The Oregon American Company
50's Logging in color
The Westside
Chasing down Western Logging History
Tales From Camp - The human element
A Logging Equipment Primer
The Valley and Siletz
The Kerry Lines
A Tour of Excursions Railroads You Can Visit
The time to promote this and organize it is short. What are your opinions? Public or private ok by me.
Lon Wall
Co-ordinator
WLHA
Subject Author Posted

LOGGING ASSEMBLY

Lon Wall July 21, 2004 05:05PM

Re: LOGGING ASSEMBLY

eric bracher July 21, 2004 05:49PM

dan July 21, 2004 07:01PM

Lon Wall July 21, 2004 11:50PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.