Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: C&S 9 video - and a narrow gauge 2-6-0 in regular service

October 19, 2020 05:53PM
Thanks for posting the video of Colorado & Southern mogul 9. Although the engine wasn't under steam, it did move and reminded of a number of cab rides on diesel powered freights between Leadville and Climax when I worked at the Climax mill in the summer of 1966. A couple of times I even got to ride the engine on company time when I was unloading box cars of empty steel drums (that would leave a couple of days later filled with molybdenum concentrate for a refinery in New York), and I couldn't be unloading drums while the Climax yard was being switched. I always wondered what it would have been like to C&S 9 on the same roadbed less than 30 years earlier.

Years later a cab ride on Guayaquil & Quito narrow gauge mogul 11 brought back visions of C&S 9, imagining that this would be as close as I would ever get to riding a Colorado&Southern narrow gauge mogul. When C&S 9 ran on the loop, I only found out about it after it was all over. So riding engine 11 really was as close as I could get, even though engine 11 looks larger than engine 9 and a bit more modern, but it was still a real step back in time and a real narrow gauge 2-6-0 in regular service.

scan0014.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2020 05:55PM by Olaf Rasmussen.
Subject Author Posted

C&S 9 video - 2010 arrival at Breckenridge Attachments

Kurt Maechner October 17, 2020 05:53AM

Re: C&S 9 video - and a narrow gauge 2-6-0 in regular service Attachments

Olaf Rasmussen October 19, 2020 05:53PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login