Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Somewhat off-topic: Looking for broken or used Bachmann C-19

October 12, 2020 02:21PM avatar
I've asked this at a few other places on the web here that are more about G/F scale modeling, but I haven't had much luck, so I might as well try asking here.
I was virtually introduced to Berry Bogs, whos been scratch building G scale locomotives for quite a while using LGB Motor blocks and has agreed to mentor me with building a D&RG Class-56 Locomotive in F scale. I'm thinking I want to start with a Bachmann F scale spectrum C-19, but I don't have the largest budget to put into this at the moment and have been trying to find a used or broken one instead of buying one brand new. Most importantly, I'd just need a decent chassis and frame, as well as tender trucks and possibly the tender frame.

I have looked at Bachmann's online parts and repair store for these items, but I'm not very comfortable with their prices and haven't had a good experience when ordering things from them in the past. There would be other things I could use for the final product off of the original, but they wouldn't be completely necessary.

I do realize how much of an ambitious project this is, especially for someone my age. Among Berry's help, I'm also a member of a local Large Scale model railroad club here in Durango, Where I'd be able to receive some advice and maybe be able to learn some other skills. In my eyes, the most daunting task would be repositioning the rear driver as that's the only difference with Class 56s/C-16 chassis and C-19 chassis.

Berry has also offered to sell me Mogul chassis with an extra driver and connecting rod, but I'm still contemplating whether or not this would be better in the long term, mostly because I'd be able to salvage a lot off of the C-19, whereas this would be easier to position the rear driver, but I'd have to mill down the flanges on two of the wheels.

Please let me know your thoughts, questions, concerns, or recommendations about this, and obviously, if you know someone or have an offer. I'd like to know what others think about this.
Subject Author Posted

Somewhat off-topic: Looking for broken or used Bachmann C-19

Joe Weigman October 12, 2020 02:21PM

Re: Somewhat off-topic: Looking for broken or used Bachmann C-19

nickgully October 12, 2020 03:20PM

Jeff Taylor October 12, 2020 08:11PM

Re: Somewhat off-topic: Looking for broken or used Bachmann C-19 Attachments

Casey Akin October 12, 2020 10:37PM

Thor Windbergs October 13, 2020 02:36AM

Casey Akin October 13, 2020 10:43PM

K. Brouwers October 16, 2020 02:40AM

Joe Weigman October 13, 2020 11:06AM

Casey Akin October 13, 2020 10:02PM

Joe Weigman October 13, 2020 10:52AM

Connor October 13, 2020 07:53PM

Jeff Taylor October 13, 2020 10:49PM

Joe Weigman October 13, 2020 10:55PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login