Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: SG - Central Arizona Railroad

September 17, 2020 10:23PM
This will be my final update for the outing last Sunday. After I returned to the truck from the hike on the hillside we meandered down the road cow path that we were on and met up with a slightly better road to the west. Next to this road we spotted a prominent grade which I hiked until it merged back into the road (the yellow squares at the far left on the static map below. After that it was getting pretty late in the day and we needed to make our way to the southeast to catch highway 89A to head back towards Phoenix. Several forest roads later we stumbled upon the grades shown on the lower portion of the map. The part furthest to the west was two diverging grades near a stock tank with cattle wandering about. The dots furthest to the east are a grade that is parallel to the forest road. The middle dots are a grade that was perpendicular to the road and likely linked to one of the grades to the west. This area will require more investigation on a future trip. I have just scratched the surface of the grades out in this region.

Flagstaff Logging Grades Map

RogersLakeMap3.jpg

A small stream crossing with rock work on the western grade.

Another stream crossing with rock work on the near end and earthen embankment on the far end that is now part of a stock tank.

This section of grade is pretty void of wood fragments and lots of cattle have been through here.

A nice grouping of regularly spaced ties on yet another spur.

A good debris field on a grade that is parallel to the forest road to the east.

Dave
Subject Author Posted

SG - Central Arizona Railroad Attachments

ROW Explorer September 14, 2020 09:36PM

Dave Peterson September 15, 2020 09:23AM

ROW Explorer September 19, 2020 07:48PM

Re: SG - Central Arizona Railroad Attachments

ROW Explorer September 15, 2020 08:51PM

Re: SG - Central Arizona Railroad Attachments

ROW Explorer September 17, 2020 10:23PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login