Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: C&TSRR = Dalton.

July 29, 2020 02:14PM avatar
I glad the '"DALTON" sign I created back in 1983 is still holding up.

Back in the 1980's-90's we used to stop at the Forest Service road crossing to pick up late passengers. There always seemed to be road construction between Chama and Espanola, and despite best efforts, some folks would show up late. The depot would call the train and tell the conductor they had passengers to pick up and there was always a debate where to stop - either the "Lobo Lodge Crossing", the "Second Lobo Lodge Crossing" (which in reality were the same place) or the "Second Highway Crossing".

I looked around at some old maps and found there was a station and a short spur track at MP 339 - right opposite Lobo Lodge - named "Dalton". It seemed that at one time logs were cut up the Chama River and loaded on flat cars here. I proposed that we move "Dalton" a 1/4 mile east to the Forest Service road crossing, call it "Dalton" and make it the official flag stop. And so it was.

Next we needed a station sign. "It was your idea, so make a station sign..... an indestructible one.... and WHILE your at it, let's make one for Sublette too..." So, I found some steel plate, a couple of lengths of 40lb rail, drew up the artwork for the sign and painted them in my back yard.

Then one day, Gary Getman decided to have a sign planting day. We set the one at Dalton, then drove to Sublette to plant the other one...

It was the high point of my morning if we got to make a stop at Dalton. Making wide open throttle starts on the hill was always a kick.

Now you know...

6- 487 dalton 6.830001 ps resize.JPG
This pic at Dalton was made the next day as we didn't wait around to for the train..... It seems that overnight, some cow used it as a scratching post and knocked it crooked. I got there too late to straighten the sign before the train got there

8 - sublette 7.830000 ps resize.JPG
We pulled out the original sign post. You can see it laying on the ground.
Subject Author Posted

C&TSRR = Dalton. Attachments

Roger Hogan July 29, 2020 05:35AM

Re: C&TSRR = Dalton. Attachments

Earl July 29, 2020 02:14PM

Re: C&TSRR = Dalton.

Roger Hogan July 29, 2020 02:19PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login