Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Building the Dual Gauge Display Track in Antonito - August 1990

July 27, 2020 12:48PM avatar
In 1982, 495 was hauled to Chama to donate its drivers to the 484 overhaul project. After that, 495 was shoved out the north side of the shop - driverless. A few years later Antonito began to raise its voice as to what happened to "their" engine that used to be on display. They wanted "their" engine back. The initial plan was to strip all the goodies off 492 and send it over there. Some of us raised a cry that 492 was the only K37 with a remote chance (very remote) of running, and if necessary we would donate our time to throw 484's worn out drivers under 495 and haul it back over the hill to the eagerly awaiting arms of Antonito. Management decided to put 495 back on its feet and haul it over the hill after the season was over. I think it was 1988. We had some boxcars for brakes. It was a long slow trip. I think it got dark somewhere east of Sublette.

In Antonito, we simply shoved 495 onto the display track. We didn't bother to turn it. There it sat. You folks happy now?.......

The Vitamin A removal was done in 91-92 time frame. After remediation, 495 got turned and put back on the head end of the string by the highway.

A point to ponder is that ALL of these efforts were funded by Kyle Rys. It was just part of doing business and trying to keep the locals happy. In the end, I don't think anyone over in Antonito cared. I think one local individual that was closely associated to the Commission Executive Director was the main complainer. I know nobody thanked us for us bringing "their" engine back. We were happy 492 didn't get sentenced to death on the point of the Antonito display train.
Subject Author Posted

Building the Dual Gauge Display Track in Antonito - August 1990 Attachments

drgw0579 July 27, 2020 08:46AM

Jack Spencer July 27, 2020 09:13AM

drgw0579 July 27, 2020 09:33AM

Earl July 27, 2020 12:48PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login