Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Soils and why fill a trestle? Not required reading.....

May 23, 2020 12:43PM
I'm pleasantly surprised you got all the way to the appendix there, Ralph! There were a lot of interesting things that came up as a result of that trestle fill video post. I'd have liked to meet the fellow who authored that article I shared; a very thorough and resourceful man.

My guess is the fellow below in Jerry's photo is making sure those culverts get well bedded in, I've seen some interesting failures when during a period of high flow the water was able to run through the fill outside of the culvert. It gets ugly fast!

Your point about moving the fill hydraulically is also interesting. Somewhere it was mentioned the same method was used in California construction (California Western Railroad?). The gold miners using the big hydraulic guns ("giants") got very good at moving material and with those skills available the two industries of mining and railroad construction inevitably crossed over. The same men were often already working with useful equipment mining when the railroads came through. No one looked over their shoulder much and they did a lot of incredible things to solve problems with what they had. The coming of the railroad represented new things to try and new ways to get themselves and their supplies where they couldn't before.

You can try the basic principles with a hose and some dirt or sand. Instead of trying to move the material away as you normally do, try to put it somewhere.

My buddy Jack who shows up in my White Pass and Yukon thread was from Southern Oregon and actually got involved with the last of the big hydraulic mining while we were in college. I got to meet some of the old timers, one of whom was his next door neighbor Guy Critser (sp?), and we actually found one of the giants he'd left out in the woods decades earlier and forgotten. He and Jack then went back to get it and found it gone. I saw the movie "Paint Your Wagon" shortly thereafter and realized that most people think the characters are caricatures. They aren't. I could tell you many Guy Critser stories from my and Jack's own experience you would think I was making up, and we only knew him when he was an old man.

Like most of the rural Western folks Guy did a lot of things to survive; mining, logging, and working for the Southern Pacific Railroad in the southern Cascades. Jack and I in our younger days roamed all over Southern Oregon (he still is) and there were few places we'd tell him about that he would say he hadn't been, doing something. He had lots of good stories to tell about his life, too, which sent Jack and I on further interesting exploring expeditions into the backwoods. Some of his stories were even true...

Timothy
Subject Author Posted

RR Trestle Fill

Rich Muth May 20, 2020 05:28PM

Re: RR Trestle Fill Attachments

Jerry474 May 22, 2020 10:21AM

Re: RR Trestle Fill

Earl May 22, 2020 12:42PM

Jimr260 May 22, 2020 05:55PM

Jerry474 May 22, 2020 06:28PM

Wayne Hoskin May 22, 2020 07:25PM

GeorgeGaskill May 22, 2020 08:02PM

Soils and why fill a trestle? Not required reading.....

heatermason May 22, 2020 11:22PM

tgbcvr May 23, 2020 11:01AM

heatermason May 23, 2020 12:43PM

Hydraulic fill NNG

hank May 23, 2020 02:01PM

Re: Hydraulic fill NNG

tgbcvr May 23, 2020 04:40PM

heatermason May 23, 2020 05:03PM

hank May 23, 2020 06:04PM

heatermason May 26, 2020 09:48AM

Kelly Anderson May 26, 2020 10:27AM

Re: RR Trestle Fill Attachments

Jerry474 May 26, 2020 08:35AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login