Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

East Broad Top Announcement Event (photos)

February 19, 2020 01:33AM avatar
The last time I saw the East Broad Top under steam was October 29th, 2011, during a freak pre-winter blizzard fondly referred to as Snowtober. Two months later, the tourist excursion season ended, and the East Broad Top Railroad and Coal Company suspended operations indefinitely. The railroad has been dormant since, their doors locked.

Fast forward to last Friday, February 14th, 2020. On this day the EBT announced that the Kovalchick family had agreed to sell the railroad in its entirety to the non-profit EBT Foundation, Inc. a newly formed group of prominent railroad industry figures, philanthropists, and longtime EBT enthusiasts. I was there representing the Friends of the EBT in the role of event photographer, recording the day’s events with both candid and posed images.

But my day started much earlier than the 11am proceedings at the train station; I arrived at 1am. Since the 2011 closure, I have been routinely visiting the towns of Orbisonia, Mount Union, Robertsdale, and all points of interest in between. Regardless of season, weather conditions, or time of day, it has been my mission to photograph and document the facilities as they exist present day. But the rails have always been void of the trains. What has been missing is now back. Four locomotives out on display, a pair of the premium passenger cars, a tank and boxcars, and those iconic cabooses!

There were smiles everywhere you looked. So many emotions in everyone’s eyes. I’ve been to many railfan events, this was the best one in a long time. Such an awesome experience, I’m so happy to have been a part of it. I had the great pleasure to talk with Joe Kovalchick and EBT historian Lee Rainey for 10 minutes each, both were choked up and fumbling their words. It might have been a frigid morning, but it all felt like a family reunion and outdoor party. Godspeed EBT!

I have always been waiting for the clock hands to run backwards – as narrow gauged smoke billowing trains once again traverse the Pennsylvania countryside pulling passenger laden cars. The dream has come true. I will continue my quest at the land that time has ignored. Everything there has a story; with each return visit my cameras are listening. It lures me back; I’m continuing the adventure real soon.

Follow the link below to my gallery of photographs, which starts with an image from October of 2011. The black/white absolutely timeless photos were captured between 1 and 6am, and then the scenes from the announcement event are in color.

Link to EBT photos

Enjoy,
Matthew
Subject Author Posted

East Broad Top Announcement Event (photos)

mfmalk February 19, 2020 01:33AM

Re: East Broad Top Announcement Event (photos)

tgbcvr February 19, 2020 02:37AM

rockrdg February 20, 2020 07:12PM

mfmalk February 22, 2020 07:18AM

Stewart Rhine February 24, 2020 06:29AM

Re: East Broad Top Announcement - Reminds Me Attachments

Buffalo Bob February 23, 2020 11:17PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login