Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

October 15 and a most unexpected ng adventure

October 23, 2019 10:41PM
Tuesday, October 15, was kind of a layover day between the 168 run to Lava on Monday, and the 315-488 double header on Wednesday. So I decided to make the best of it by hiking about 2 miles south from Cumbres Pass on the Continental Divide Trail to a great viewpoint overlooking the Hamilton Point curves that I had once done about 8 years ago. This called for a reasonably early departure from Cumbres to allow time for the hike. When my dog Jack and I got to the trail head we met a group of six oriental ladies of Vietnamese extraction who were preparing to hike the same trail. While time was of the essence to reach the hoped for viewpoint, Jack had different ideas, regarding the six ladies as the pack we needed to hike with. The ladies enjoyed playing with Jack with the result that we had only gone half way by the time the eastbound train passed Cresco. Some of the ladies were very enthusiastic about seeing and photographing the steam train, not something they would normally encounter in the LA area.

Here is the half-way viewpoint with the train in the distance

oct15-488-5.jpg

Jack was more interested in the ladies' doings than the train rounding Windy Point in the distance (photo by Mai Lee)

IMG_3003_01.jpg

After the train reached Cumbres, we left the "pack" for Tanglefoot curve, and the ladies continued their hike south on the CDT. Jack and I got to Tanglefoot just in time.

oct15-488-7.jpg

After our shortened hiking adventure we returned to Chama and watched 463 and 315 having their fires cleaned and the tenders refilled.

uct15-488-8.jpg

By mid afternoon we drove back to Cumbres to meet the westbound train. As we passed the CDT trailhead, the group of 6 was just returning from their hike and we pulled over to ask about their hike and to tell them that the westbound train would be crossing the trestle across the road in a few minutes if they were interested in more train photos. A little later the ladies caught up with us at the Coxo crossing, eager for more photos. They ended up following us to every viewpoint. I will attach a few excellent photos e-mailed to me by Mai Lee a few days later.

DSC_1428 (1).jpg
Subject Author Posted

October 15 and a most unexpected ng adventure Attachments

Olaf Rasmussen October 23, 2019 10:41PM

Re: October 15 and a most unexpected ng adventure Attachments

Olaf Rasmussen October 23, 2019 11:16PM

Re: October 15 and a most unexpected ng adventure

Samart October 26, 2019 07:41AM

Jimr260 October 23, 2019 11:23PM

Greg Scholl October 24, 2019 10:17AM

Olaf Rasmussen October 25, 2019 11:43PM

Russo Loco October 26, 2019 07:23PM

MacTheTrucker October 28, 2019 05:03PM

Olaf Rasmussen October 28, 2019 09:40PM

D. W. Bassett November 03, 2019 04:32PM

D. W. Bassett November 03, 2019 04:56PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login