Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Golden Spike Chapter Railway & Locomotive Historical Society - What do they have to show for themselves?

September 10, 2019 08:00AM
I find it unfortunate that people have set out to second guess and nitpick the Utah 223 group. Considering the resources and personnel available, I think they have done a remarkable job.
But instead of looking to blame people, let’s look for ways to capitalize on this situation, restore 223 and create a win-win opportunity for everyone. We have been presented with a golden opportunity to see 223 restored and returned to service. We need to pull together, work together and see this through.
What we have now is a collection of parts that once was 223. Before the 223 group stepped in, there were few that seemed willing to take care of the 223. The fact is the engine is far from a static display. So the 233 group, working with the C&TS have apparently offered a plan to restore 223 and return it to service. Sounds great! But why would the Utah State Historical Society allow it to go to Colorado and New Mexico? What’s in it for them? Well, first and foremost, their collection of parts is the beneficiary of a multi-hundreds of thousands of dollars restoration and is returned to a fully functioning locomotive. I am sure there are other ways that the Utah State Historical Society might benefit here— such as ticket discounts for Utah residents, special charters for the Utah Historical Society, etc. I feel certain that those matters are being discussed at some level.
A friend emphasized to me that the Utah State Historical Society understandably has strong ties to the LDS Church. There is a considerable LDS population in the San Luis Valley, many of whom have been supportive of the train. Maybe they could involve themselves and get behind this project.
We need to look forward here, quit the blame game, and look for ways to take advantage of this unique opportunity to return 223 to service.
Bill M.
Subject Author Posted

Golden Spike Chapter Railway & Locomotive Historical Society - What do they have to show for themselves?

D&RGW 223 September 09, 2019 10:52PM

Re: Golden Spike Chapter Railway & Locomotive Historical Society - What do they have to show for themselves?

Bill M. September 10, 2019 08:00AM

Steve Stockham September 10, 2019 09:49AM

nedsn3 September 12, 2019 08:13AM

Rob Gardner September 14, 2019 10:33PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login