September 08, 2019 08:21AM avatar
Found these at the Canadian archives. Except for Billmeyer & Small and Jackson & Sharp builders photos of early D&RG rolling stock, the Merrilees Collection doesn't have a lot from the Colorado narrow gauges. There is a fair bit on other very early USA narrow gauge lines however, and here's a couple, along with a portrait of the Jackson & Sharp works.

From what I can gather in Hilton's "American Narrow Gauge Railroads", the Cherokee RR in Alabama was possibly the first USA common carrier narrow gauge, the 3' gauge portion of the line built in Nov/Dec 1871. Hilton has a photo of their locomotive, but perhaps this equipment shot is new.

Cherokee 3' Gauge - Low Res - Bankers Box 781559.jpg

The Central Valley RR was in New York state, and was among the most short-lived narrow gauges. He says the line was opened in May 1872, but was dismantled in April 1875.

Central Valley Rly Combine - DSCF3665.JPG

Central Valley Rly Coach Creswell - DSCF3666.JPG

This picture appears in the same archives folio - a shot of the J&S works. All the photos appear to have age, and are certainly not modern copies. My apologies if these shots are old news, but they fascinated me and may be of interest to some of you.

Cheers,

Low Res Jackson & Sharp Shops.jpg
Subject Author Posted

Two very early US narrow gauges - Cherokee and Central Valley Attachments

tgbcvr September 08, 2019 08:21AM

Re: Two very early US narrow gauges - Cherokee and Central Valley

brian budeit September 08, 2019 09:25AM

tgbcvr September 08, 2019 12:15PM

philip.marshall September 08, 2019 02:24PM

tgbcvr September 08, 2019 04:40PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login