Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: RGS #27 still in Cuba?

July 11, 2000 05:43PM
Steven,
I'm afraid the answer is almost certainly no, but there is a book that lists all the steam locomotives known to have existed in Cuba since 1979, when railfans first began visiting the island. It is the "Industrial Steam Locomotives of Cuba", published by the Industrial Railway Society (England). ISBN 0-901096-85-7. This book lists builders numbers, where known. My copy is from 1995, I understand there is a new edition out which may have a different ISBN number. Order a copy from Wayne Weiss at RoundBell@aol.com. The first edition was $12.00, the new one is probably about $20.
There were very few 3 ft. gauge mills in Cuba. Most Cuban narrow gauge mills are/were 30 in. ga. There are 10 three foot gauge mills listed in the book, but only two of them are still operating any steam. Frank Pais (no longer operating steam) had two 2-8-0's and two 4-6-0's present, as late as 1988. The 4-6-0's survived until last year, when they were reported to have been cut up. They were duplicates of the Tweetsie ten wheelers. The other mills mostly are using outside frame 2-8-0's.
I have seen several posts dreaming of expat US steam still in existence in Latin America, but the truth is, almost all of the second hand steam has been scrapped. Only the most recent equipment is still left, and most of that is either out of service or being preserved locally. After years of neglect, Latin America is waking up to the idea of rail preservation and they are now starting to preserve what is left. See Rob Dickenson's site at [dialspace.dial.pipex.com] to check out what is still operating. James Heffner at [www.pernet.net] ofers a listing of Surviving World Steam Locomotives.
Hope this helps.
Michael Allen
Subject Author Posted

RGS #27 still in Cuba?

Steven H July 10, 2000 09:46AM

James Hefner July 11, 2000 10:12AM

Steven H July 11, 2000 10:48AM

James D. Hefner July 11, 2000 02:56PM

Michael Allen July 11, 2000 05:43PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.