Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Eureka & Palisade engine 7

June 25, 2019 07:33PM
I recently received a copy of Gregory Maxwell's wonderful book about the Eureka & Palisade railroad. Of particular interest to me was Eureka & Palisade engine number 7, since a couple of times I saw and rode behind this engine at Silverwood in Idaho. Usually engine 12, now again at the Georgetown Loop, handled trains on the 4-mile Silverwood trackage, but a couple of times I lucked out and saw Number 7. I was always amazed that a railroad hauling mineral traffic on a nearly 100 mile long railroad would operate such a tiny engine with a mere 9,250 pounds of tractive effort. Over the years E&P's Eureka got much richly deserved publicity, while number 7 has remained obscure. I only happened to take a video of No. 7 once, stopping briefly on the way to see Canadian Pacific 2816. So these pre-HD video snap shots fit well into the rank of "fuzzy photos".

Engine 7 photo borrowed from David Myrick's "Railroads of Nevada"

scan0006 (2).jpg

Engine 7 nearing end of the 4-mile loop run thru woods and meadows at Silverwood. She may be a bit dolled up, but in action she is the real thing, and the grades thru the rolling terrain give her a bit of a workout with her 4-car train. During the course of the day, with numerous trips around the loop, she does rack up a fair number of miles

SnapShot(536).jpg

SnapShot(537).jpg

SnapShot(538).jpg

SnapShot(539).jpg
Subject Author Posted

Eureka & Palisade engine 7 Attachments

Olaf Rasmussen June 25, 2019 07:33PM

Re: Eureka & Palisade engine 7 Attachments

Greg Maxwell June 25, 2019 08:06PM

Re: Eureka & Palisade engine 7

Brian Norden June 25, 2019 11:03PM

F&W#14 June 27, 2019 12:35AM

Brian Norden June 27, 2019 10:19AM

Greg Maxwell June 25, 2019 08:08PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login