Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Locomotive cab interior color

June 10, 2019 08:15AM avatar
Oh yeah, zinc chromate. I was first introduced to that odd substance on my first job out of high school working for an FBO at the local municipal airport. Besides pumping gas into aeroplanes [sic] in the dead of the Iowa winters, one of my other duties was to assist the aircraft mechanics that worked in the hanger. Most of you are probably aware that aircraft, just like railroad equipment, are required to be inspected on a regular basis, which sometimes required replacement of aluminum parts that have stress cracks etc. I remember well the zinc chromate primer that was sprayed on every surface inside and out of the Pipers, Mooneys, and Cessnas that inhabited the hanger. Of course the outside surfaces were then painted with a finish coat of whatever color was desired. Open inspection covers on wings and fuselages revealed the funky green ZC primer on the inside surfaces. Why paint all of the aluminum? Well, as it turns out, AL oxidizes when exposed to the elements when it is not protected. Especially the purer Al alloys. So the ZC retards/prevents oxidation and turns out that it adheres quite well to the aluminum surface better than traditional primers for ferrous materials most likely due to the interaction atomically between Zinc and Aluminum (Zinc is a common alloying material in the production of aluminum). I was so intrigued by this green stuff that I actually painted the interior surfaces of a plastic model airplane that I was building. Sheesh, talk about anal, after assembly of the model, all that showed of the ZC was a few tiny places in cockpit. BUT, I knew it was there. eye rolling smiley
Subject Author Posted

Locomotive cab interior color

John Cole June 08, 2019 02:01PM

drgw0579 June 08, 2019 07:04PM

Tomstp June 09, 2019 08:54AM

Mark Valerius June 10, 2019 08:15AM

RDannemann June 10, 2019 03:32PM

rdamurphy June 09, 2019 09:05PM

ozinoz June 10, 2019 05:57PM

Brian Norden June 10, 2019 06:09PM

Re: Locomotive cab interior color - color contrast?

kcsivils June 10, 2019 06:17PM

Re: Locomotive cab interior color - color contrast?

Chris Walker June 11, 2019 07:00PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login