Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

60 years of adventures with engine 476

May 19, 2019 07:18AM
Hiking in the upper Animas Canyon canyon area with James Parfrey this week, we repeatedly encountered engine 476 leading the first train of the day. The engine looked and sounded "good as new", and seemed to handle her train with ease. This reminded me that it has been 60 years since I first encountered 476 and that I had a fantastic first trip on the Rio Grande narrow gauge behind this engine. Actually, it almost didn't happen. In the summer of 1959 my family made a vacation trip from Alamogordo, New Mexico, to Rocky Mountain National Park where the chief objective was to take hiking trips in that grand alpine area. Steam trains were not on the family agenda, although they were on mine. On the return trip to New Mexico we encountered our first steam at Granby, where a loop track offered a miniature live-steam train ride.

scan0007.jpg

Here I was finally able to convince my parents that we should make a detour to see a REAL steam train on the Rio Grande Silverton branch. On the way to Silverton there were more interesting detractions, such as engine 278 on display at Montrose. Not realizing that a very slow trip to Silverton lay ahead, we spent far too much time enjoying engine 278 before heading for the San Juan mountains.

scan0008.jpg

It seems to me that the Red Mountain pass road was not fully paved in 1959 (although I could be wrong), in any case the drive took far longer than we had anticipated, and it appeared that we couldn't possibly get to Silverton in time to catch the train. Disappointment mounted as train time passed and Silverton was still not in sight, but hope returned as a steam and smoke plume appeared when we finally turned into Silverton. A steam engine was moving freight cars in the yard, and when we got to the station engine 476 was adding three gondolas to the string of passenger cars.
While the crew was getting the train ready for departure, my brother JR, then nearly 4 years old, got his first visit to a steam locomotive cab, and he vividly remembers the shock of the fireman opening the fire door and looking into the blazing coal fire (an experience he would frequently repeat in his two years of firing in South Africa many years later). I managed to buy a ticket before the train left and spent the next several hours on the platform of the first coach looking over the three drop bottom gons at 476 twisting and turning thru the canyon and rock ledges. Simply amazing, as I had no idea what to expect on this stunning ride into narrow gauge country. I did not have a camera with me, and by the time my parents met me at Durango the light was getting too dim for photos, although I am attaching one of several unsuccessful attempts at low-light photography, since it is my first photo of 476 and the Rio Grande narrow gauge.

scan0006.jpg

The next morning we were free to wander around the yard and engine facilities as 476 was getting ready to take the next train to Silverton

scan0009.jpg

At train time my brothers Wolf(gang) and Juergen (JR) posed by 476 with her mixed consist

scan0004 (2).jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2019 08:06AM by Olaf Rasmussen.
Subject Author Posted

60 years of adventures with engine 476 Attachments

Olaf Rasmussen May 19, 2019 07:18AM

Re: 60 years of adventures with engine 476 Attachments

Olaf Rasmussen May 19, 2019 08:30AM

Re: 60 years of adventures with engine 476

John Meixel May 19, 2019 12:02PM

Herb Kelsey May 19, 2019 01:40PM

guymonmd May 19, 2019 05:27PM

Olaf Rasmussen May 19, 2019 09:31PM

Olaf Rasmussen May 20, 2019 09:37PM

Olaf Rasmussen May 20, 2019 09:54PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login