Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bob Gray passes

April 09, 2019 06:24PM
I got a call this afternoon from a friend in Nevada and he told me the sad news that Bob Gray
had recently died at the age of 97.

Bob is known as the man who worked tirelessly to start and then develop the new Virginia &
Truckee RR in Virginia City, NV. It had been his favorite line and when the opportunity arose to
re-create the famous short line, he poured all of his energy into it. That we have a railroad
to ride today is because of Bob Gray.

During a visit at his home in the Fall of 2012, I learned something more about Bob. He was a
Marine in WW2. He served as a combat photographer in the Pacific and went on to tell me that
he had 3 cameras shot out of his hands while on Okinawa ( I believe I remember this location correctly).
He also said that he never once got to see the results of his risks and labors, his film was turned over to
an officer and sent to the US for processing.

Bob got around as a railfan and shot b&w for years and then slides in later years. He made an early 1960s trip to
Guatemala with Henry Bender and was gracious enough to show me his slides of that trip during our visit.

I found him to be modest, humorous and thoughtful in his speech and actions. Another gentleman of the old school.
Subject Author Posted

Bob Gray passes

Tom Moungovan April 09, 2019 06:24PM

Re: Bob Gray passes

KevinM April 09, 2019 06:37PM

rehunn April 09, 2019 07:25PM

Re: Bob Gray passes Attachments

LOGGERHOGGER April 10, 2019 05:58AM

Chris Walker April 10, 2019 11:37PM

Tom Moungovan April 11, 2019 03:08AM

Chris Walker April 11, 2019 04:15AM

Tom Moungovan April 11, 2019 06:09AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login