Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trying to find a time-frame for some new D&RGW film footage

March 30, 2019 07:49PM
I just watched 2 reels of D&RGW steam footage, mostly NG freight footage.
Here are some notes that might help to establish when these were shot.

(Reel 1) 481 and 487 freight Chama-Cumbres. Here is the key perhaps....Alamosa toward Antonito, with one of the big diesels on the point and 486 is the road engine. I figure this is the 3000 or the N???, one of those two.
It was probably headed to Durango where it was used most of its life. So if someone knows when one of these went to DGO from Alamosa that should be something to start with. If dispatcher sheets show a NG diesel with 486 that should be it. Next is an eastbound starting along the river eastbound from Durango. Power is 486 solo and working real hard on Bocea Hill. Its chased to Allison where the reel ends. One key to this train was there was what looked like one of those big water cars(tank type but bigger than the UTLX type), right behind the 486. Besides this there was one shot of a photorunby near Dalton with 478 helper and a freight engine behind it.

Reel 2 -Freight turn from Chama-Cumbres(487 on rear). 484 seen on what I think is the Chama-Durango Line, but only a shot or two. 2 engines at the Chama wye....481 and 487. Another Cumbres turn with 487 on the rear again.
Some of these Cumbres turns may be the same day, or part of the 487 rear pusher might be same as the one on reel one. This train is followed all the way to Cumbres. Here we see one of the MOW cars as a caboose with the helper moving it around. What got me though was the last scene is a shot of 497 and 498 without tenders which were wrecked. I remember reading about it and stills from someone here so we might be able to at least know what year we are talking about.

I think the key to Reel 1 is the Diesel with 486, and Reel two is the 498/497 at Cumbres perhaps. Anyway interesting stuff for discussion. Always fun to unearth some new history, if that makes sense!!!cool smiley

Greg Scholl
[www.gregschollvideo.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2019 07:52PM by Greg Scholl.
Subject Author Posted

Trying to find a time-frame for some new D&RGW film footage

Greg Scholl March 30, 2019 07:49PM

Re: Trying to find a time-frame for some new D&RGW film footage

drgwk37 March 30, 2019 09:32PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login