Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Remembering Ernie - on UP steam

March 18, 2019 10:14PM
Ernie was very dedicated to the documentation and preservation of the narrow gauge, but when the opportunity arose, he was very happy to chase and photograph standard gauge steam. His preservation efforts extended to the standard gauge too, witness his many years as treasurer of the 4-8-4 2926 restoration effort.

Back in the days of shooting black and white film, many of us railfans would spend many hours in a space dimly lit by an orange safe light, handling hazardous chemicals, and breathing toxic fumes. All to make prints for trading with other railfans both in the US and overseas. I mailed all of my B&W negatives to Ernie for developing - he did an outstanding job and I didn't have to worry about screwing up a precious roll of film. Of all of the prints Ernie and I exchanged he only ever included one of UP 844, which I am attaching. Since there is space for more prints, I am also attaching a few of mine.

Here is Ernie's print of 844 heading west from Cheyenne on September 7, 1969

scan0074 (3).jpg

Here is 844 leaving the Snake River valley and heading up a Burnt canyon to Huntington ,Oregon, and starting the long climb to Baker (one-time home of the Sumpter Valley Narrow gauge).

scan0076 (2).jpg

844 is crossing the long trestle across the Snake River at Lyons Ferry, Washington, en route to Spokane

scan0075 (2).jpg

Beyond the snake river bridge, the train will pass thru several tunnels in the Palouse River gorge

scan0078 (2).jpg

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2019 07:36AM by Olaf Rasmussen.
Subject Author Posted

Remembering Ernie - on UP steam Attachments

Olaf Rasmussen March 18, 2019 10:14PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login