Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Frank Barry's photos

February 06, 2019 07:47PM
Those photos Frank Barry displayed in banks had a significant impact on me, both beneficial as well as potential disastrous. These stories are actually part of a future thread, but I will relate this aspect dealing with the photos. On February 1, 1964 I was in a significant financial quandary. After the morning chase to Cumbres with Frank I had just about enough money left for a bus ticket from Chama to Santa Fe or a ticket from Santa Fe to my hometown of Alamogordo, but not for both ( none of course for food, not essential). As it turned out Frank's Peace Corps afternoon activity was postponed, so he decided to drive to Santa Fe to deliver a set of photos to a bank in that city. That gave me a chance for a ride to Santa Fe, where I used my last bills and coins to purchase a ticket to Alamogordo. Saved by blind luck again.

Frank had invited me to dinner at his house the night before (one reason I had enough money for that bus ticket), and he showed me some of his best photos. When I was leaving I spotted an 11x14 print in his waste basket. Frank said it was underexposed so he was throwing it away. I asked if I could have it, and he said sure. Ever since it has been one of my prize posessions, part of which is shown below ( my scanner won't scan a full 11x14). It shows 498 leading a double header out of the Florida river bottoms around that big S-curve about a 3/4 mile from Florida. To make a long story short, in June 1966 I wanted to duplicate that shot and John Charles, Steve Patterson and I hiked about a mile down the grade to the S-curve. On the way back I made the disastrous decision to climb onto a flatcar of the moving train with predictable results. I ended up being dragged backwards with my legs bouncing next to those flanged meat cleavers until I let go and rolled down an embankment. Amazing luck again. Not something I would ever attempt again.

The blurry front of 498 is from my scanner, not the Frank Barry print

scan0023.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2019 07:49PM by Olaf Rasmussen.
Subject Author Posted

Not-so-safe narrow gauge chasing Attachments

Olaf Rasmussen February 05, 2019 09:15PM

Re: Not-so-safe narrow gauge chasing

rehunn February 05, 2019 09:25PM

tinticng February 06, 2019 06:17AM

Earl February 06, 2019 10:58AM

Re: Not-so-safe narrow gauge chasing Attachments

James Parfrey February 06, 2019 11:50AM

Re: Not-so-safe narrow gauge chasing - WOW!! thumbs upthumbs up

Russo Loco February 06, 2019 12:42PM

guymonmd February 06, 2019 12:51PM

James Parfrey February 06, 2019 12:59PM

Re: Frank Barry's photos Attachments

Olaf Rasmussen February 06, 2019 07:47PM

Earl February 07, 2019 10:20AM

Greg Scholl February 07, 2019 11:18AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login