Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Remembering Ernie...

December 26, 2018 09:03PM
I met Ernie in the fall of 1970 when he was working hard to get the C&TS equipment moved to Chama from where it had been delivered to Antonito. I was a young sixteen year old passing through and checking out events. The next summer, I had occasion to ride with him seated beside me on the first C&TS excursion in June 1971. Even then, I was in awe of him and felt I was sitting among greatness. But I didn’t really get to know him for another year. I too had become a member of the Narrow Gauge Railroad Association (and was the editor of its newsletter). A friend and I had worked the eastbound train into Antonito one day and were dead tired. On arrival, we saw Ernie painting the newly arrived 463 and walked over to check it out. Ernie handed us a couple of shovels and asked if we would shovel the coal out of 463’s tender. Well we did so in spite of being tired. A couple of hours later, we asked Ernie where he was staying. He said he would probably sleep in his car. Well we told him to come with us and we drove to Alamosa where we all stayed at my grandmother’s house. Ernie and I became fast friends from there on. Countless train-chasing and mountain climbing trips followed over the years. Ernie was one of the most caring and nicest friends that anyone could ask for. That earlier feeling about being around greatness?— well that feeling never left me when I was with Ernie. I will miss him terribly.
Bill M.
Subject Author Posted

Remembering Ernie... Attachments

Earl December 26, 2018 01:56PM

Roger Hogan December 26, 2018 02:12PM

ozinoz December 26, 2018 02:16PM

Re: Remembering Ernie... Attachments

Olaf Rasmussen December 26, 2018 04:53PM

Sharrod December 26, 2018 05:05PM

Re: Remembering Ernie . . .

Russo Loco December 26, 2018 10:40PM

Bill M. December 26, 2018 09:03PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login