Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Riding the narrow gauge – Part 1b

September 28, 2018 01:49PM
My son and I walked around the yard snapping photos of equipment. Below is my 6 foot tall son posing in front of the OY, showing that the rotary is no small machine. Although it had been painted only a couple of years ago, the paint is already starting to peel in places. (You need to click on the photos separately to see them clearly.)

20180921_162218x.jpg

The following morning, after breakfast at the Boxcar Cafe, we headed down to the yard to see what was happening before boarding the PARLOR CAR for our trip to Antonito. There we found a mass of people. Everything was running late so that the crowd included passengers for the extra-long regular train as well as the special. There was a lot of train movement in the yard and with so any people milling around, the railroad employees and train docent finally started shooing everyone off to the parking lot side of the yard. This reduced photo opportunities but was understandable. I found that if you were willing to move further towards the coaling tower or water tank and weren’t too close to the tracks, the staff didn’t have a problem. Although I got a few photos of the two engines on our train, the train was not put together until after the 315 had left, so I didn’t get a shot of train all put together, as we needed to get onto the parlor car.

20180922_092743x.jpg
20180922_094612_001x.jpg
20180922_094633_001xx.jpg

The parlor car is beautiful with very comfortable high backed chairs. I had previously brought up my concern regarding the considerably higher price of riding this car. My verdict – Loved It!! My advice is that the next time you ride the C&TS – GO FOR IT! I have included a photo of the car interior. That is my wife Kathy, mid car, looking back at the camera. Her “rabbit ears” are the courtesy of our son Nick. On the day we rode, the westbound train had a gondola and caboose tacked on the rear, and the eastbound train the following day also had a caboose tacked on the rear. I think this is a serious mistake on the part of railroad. It eliminates a great feature of riding the parlor car.

20180922_120254x.jpg

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2018 03:45PM by Jim McKee.
Subject Author Posted

Riding the narrow gauge – Part 1b Attachments

Jim McKee September 28, 2018 01:49PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login