Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Southwest Narrow Gauge Country Trip-Suggestions

September 18, 2018 10:28PM
At Vance junction the restored coaling station is the big draw. But you can also see the grade very clearly and follow it for a very long way. Some ties are still in place. Unfortunately, most of the structures are gone. I was lucky enough to see them still standing and regret that the forces of gravity, weather, and progress are taking their toll on the whole line. See what's left when you can because things keep disappearing. You access the area at the former Ilium power plant, now a church camp (I think - things change). Not too many years ago, you actually drove over one of the bridges that were part of the wye. The bridge has now been replaced, but the abutments were still there at least a couple of years ago. They probably still are. The remaining bridge was up in front of the camp when I was there last, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has been disposed of by now or re-purposed.

I think I mentioned the drive from Vance Junction along the main line toward the Ophir Loop. A decent gravel road takes you almost to the Ames tank remains, but you have to walk the Galloping Goose Trail to actually get to the few remains of the tank. The site of Bridge 43A is a bit farther down the trail. If you don't have mobility problems, it is an easy walk. But I digress. The drive along the mainline is a kick and sharp eyes can often find Greer patent spikes that the road graders turn up from time-to-time.

At Ophir, the Oilton Club is still there as a private residence, but it has been raised up on a new foundation. The station area is under the highway, but fallen pieces of bridge 45A remain. You can walk the low line and a certain amount of the high line. Must have been amazing on the train. All this is below the highway. The Ames power plant down in the valley is still there and operating. It is quite easy to drive a little farther on the highway and see the mill at Matterhorn and of course Trout Lake is just a little farther than that and then Lizard Head Pass is just a little farther and if you keep doing that, next thing you know, you're in Rico! If you are the kind of wide-eyed 72-year-old child that I am, you can spend days and days poking around the RGS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2018 10:29PM by Jim Marlett.
Subject Author Posted

Southwest Narrow Gauge Country Trip-Suggestions

SilvertonBranch September 13, 2018 10:15AM

John Bush September 13, 2018 10:34AM

SilvertonBranch September 14, 2018 10:12AM

John Bush September 14, 2018 03:41PM

Re: Southwest Narrow Gauge Country Trip-Suggestions Attachments

Jerry474 September 13, 2018 01:32PM

vince heying September 13, 2018 02:33PM

jgp1843 September 13, 2018 03:57PM

Jim Marlett September 13, 2018 09:35PM

Brian Norden September 13, 2018 10:15PM

hank September 14, 2018 11:47AM

SilvertonBranch September 17, 2018 01:19PM

Greg Scholl September 17, 2018 01:52PM

jgp1843 September 18, 2018 08:55AM

jgp1843 September 18, 2018 12:57PM

Jim Marlett September 18, 2018 10:28PM

jgp1843 September 19, 2018 09:42AM

SilvertonBranch September 19, 2018 10:09AM

jgp1843 September 19, 2018 01:39PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login