Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ten Years on.. And I am still drawn to Narrow Gauge heaven! A few questions to improve my travels.

September 01, 2018 08:14AM
To all the fellow forum members,
After ten years I am still drawn to that little town in northern New Mexico!
Having started with participating in one of the last (the last?) TUT freight charters on the C&TS in September/October of 2008 this year will make it my fourth visit to the C&TS!
It is therefore not my first journey to the US and I kind of think I know where to go this time. Specially as this won't be an entirely railroad based vacation at all.
Let me introduce you to my itinerary first:
9/14 Flight from Zurich to Denver, get car, stay at Laramie WY for the night (might go to Cheyenne on the way there)
9/15 Travel to Yellowstone National Park, stay there until 9/19
9/19 and 9/20 Travel to Moab UT for Arches National Park, brake journey at approximately Salt Lake City.
9/22 Travel from Moab UT to Grand Canyon (South Rim)
9/24 Travel from GC to Page AZ, visit Antelope Canyon etc.
9/25 Travel to Kayenta, stay there to explore Monument Valley until 9/28
9/28 Travel Kayenta to Chama
9/29 Ride FOCTS Charter Antontio-Osier-Antonito
9/30 Ride Galopping Goose Chama-Antonito
10/1 Travel Chama to Cañon City
10/2 Travel Cañon City to Denver
10/3 Fly Denver to Chicago
10/3 to 10/5 revisit Chicago
10/5 Fly Chicago to Zurich

The part I need your help with is the "roadside attractions" if I am allowed to say so:
- As you can see I have again planned to see much of the C&TS and get off trains as often as possible to take pictures.
- It is planned to ride the Royal Gorge Railroad again, thus the overnight stay at Cañon City.
- At the moment I have no idea if we will have the time to visit either the CRRM or Georgetown Loop. I Might leave my colleage and do both while he explores Denver.
- If anybody here knew what locomotive is planned to be operating that day, I would like to see Shay #9 operating on the Loop and therefore travel there to ride behind it.
- I don't think we will ride the D&S again this time, but if recommendet enough, we might consider squeezing it in on 9/28.
- Since my last visit to this area in 2010 Como kind of "popped up" on my map, we can easily include on 10/2 when travelling Cañon City to Denver. If anybody is available to give us a short tour I'd be very happy, but I'll be happy to have a look at it all anyway.
- I might ride the Grand Canyon Railway on 9/23 if bored too much from looking down into the canyon the day before ;-) Any recommendations?

Any hints on what I've missed so far? Is there anything of interest or a "must see" on our way, or not too far off the "direct path" from one point to the other?

Thank you for reading (and answering?) this!
Urias
Subject Author Posted

Ten Years on.. And I am still drawn to Narrow Gauge heaven! A few questions to improve my travels.

Urias von Meyenburg September 01, 2018 08:14AM

Re: Ten Years on.. And I am still drawn to Narrow Gauge heaven! A few questions to improve my travels.

Husker Hank September 01, 2018 06:55PM

Re: Ten Years on.. And I am still drawn to Narrow Gauge heaven! A few questions to improve my travels.

John Meixel September 02, 2018 06:41AM

John Bush September 03, 2018 11:50AM

MD Ramsey September 03, 2018 12:10PM

Re: Ride West, Young Man . . . smileys with beer

Russo Loco September 03, 2018 12:21PM

But, but, but.....

John West September 03, 2018 01:17PM

Re: But, but, but..... Attachments

rosenth September 03, 2018 03:44PM

Como September 02, 2018 09:12AM

Re: Ten Years on - DON'T MISS COMO!! thumbs upthumbs up

Russo Loco September 02, 2018 03:09PM

Urias von Meyenburg September 03, 2018 04:38AM

Urias von Meyenburg September 03, 2018 01:43PM

John Bush September 03, 2018 01:48PM

Speaking of your backyard

John West September 03, 2018 03:00PM

Urias von Meyenburg September 03, 2018 03:11PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login