Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A Railway Slang ...x( Not Toilet Humour. x( Quiz for the Knowledgeable. smiling smiley

May 19, 2018 02:49PM avatar
Apparently the Yank version is something else. I was somewhat surprised at Kelly's toilet response, that figures!! Since everyone is easily offended in this day and age, I must say I am offended at the thought I would post such vulgar toilet slang. smiling smiley smiling smiley

NZR used a Section (Block) occcupancy safe working system known as Tyler's Patent Tablet System, we called the Tablet a Biscuit, since it was round and flat like a biscuit not a scone which is rectangular. This Tablet had the station names on it for each end of the section, and was the only authority to enter that section in normal operating circumstances.

> 1) Dropped the biscuit. Dropped the Tablet(Token) while exchanging by Automatic Exchanger, resulting in an efficiently expedited stop. Tablets were exchanged by hand using a Cane sling or Hoop or by a forked apparatus, one hung on the cabside bracket and the other mounted alongside the Mainline at Stations by the Signal Leverframe.

> 2) Having a boil-up You got that one a Cuppa or Meal Break.

> 3) Put the stick back in my face. On rare occasions it was necessary to stop a train as it approached the Home Signal at speed. Usually applied to the enthusiastic Tablet Operator placing the Home Signal lever back to Stop before one passed it and unable to stop the train before passing said Signal. He was supposed to wait until the locomotive passed the Signal Levers.
The phrase also applied to Train Control taking the light off you unexpectedly by manually reverting his signals. Sweaty times in CTC because you just never knew it was intentional or someone running into your section. A good Controller would radio you first.

> 4) Got the double bun. Worked over 14hrs,earning two paid meal allowances. 10hrs worked resulted in one Meal allowance paid, this was reduced to 9hrs around the early 1980's.

> 5) Went through the traps. Loco or rolling stock run through a set of trap points and derailed, usually at the end of a Siding or Crossing Loop. The Traps were a single blade what you call a split-rail derail, Catch points were a complete Switch to divert the derailing move away from the Mainline and were mostly used on Crossing Loops. When at the end of Double track these were known as Safety Points.
Subject Author Posted

A Railway Slang ...x( Not Toilet Humour. x( Quiz for the Knowledgeable. smiling smiley

Chris Walker May 19, 2018 02:49PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login