Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Jim Walsh locomotives at Fallon, NV?

May 03, 2018 03:51PM
Jim Walsh recently passed away. I'm not sure what happened to his collection, but I know he had a relationship with the state railroad museum.

I visited Jim a few times and can confirm those were what he had. No other steam locos, although he had some speeders and parts of "stuff" around.

Porter #1421 is restored and operable. Jim had a small track running out of his garage and around his property, and he'd bring it to the museum in Carson City on occasion. He found that one in the mountains near Juneau (at the Salmon Creek dam) in the 1970s, and had it lifted out with a helicopter.

Porter 1392 is partially restored as it was used in Alaska (regular cab, not the original dummy cab from its days in Oregon).

The Davenport is a bit of a mystery. It's what connected me with Jim, he found it in my hometown of Funter Bay, AK. It was used at the gold mine there, after reportedly coming from the Treadwell Mine. I haven't been able to find any records of it at Treadwell, nor the construction number. It appears to be 25" gauge (both Jim and I have measured it), which is kind of an oddball but is what Treadwell used.

I've got quite a bit of info on these and other small Alaskan locomotives on my website, all this documentation evolved out of my search for info on the Davenport:

[saveitforparts.wordpress.com]

And more on the Davenport here: [saveitforparts.wordpress.com]

I'd love to find out more on the Davenport myself!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2018 04:05PM by saveitforparts.
Subject Author Posted

Jim Walsh locomotives at Fallon, NV?

CVR220 April 27, 2018 09:15AM

Dave Peterson April 27, 2018 12:00PM

saveitforparts May 03, 2018 03:51PM

evankamp June 29, 2021 09:07PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login