Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NNG: Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum (photos)

March 28, 2018 02:33AM avatar
Link to Photos

Follow the above link to my photos from the recent Lerro Productions photo charter at the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum in Chattanooga.

The night before the charter started I was out past midnight for dinner and drinks with Pete Lerro and Mitch Goldman, we had a most interesting and stimulating conversation about reality based photography verses digital manipulation and compositing via Photoshop. I am one who always tries to capture the picture as perfectly as possible with the camera, but afterwards use a RAW editor and Photoshop to its fullest for finalizing the image files as my mind's eye wants them to appear. In talking with Pete and Mitch I secretly decided to challenge myself on this charter - to shoot in JPEG only, relying heavily on my camera platform's potential to process internally with the Acros monochrome film simulation mode. It would be a risky move, not having the flexible RAW files to fall back on if I did not ace the exposure settings. In some of these photos I purposely shot at a higher then normal ISO to accentuate the conversion of noise to an important texture, with others I underexposed the shadow areas to add contrast. A 50mm prime lens was used as much as possible to yield the field of view similar to the human eye, and as a throwback to my roots of analog photography.

In conducting this experiment of shooting JPEGs-only I really liked the results, to my tastes this gallery looks less sterile and digital while having a lot more soul. In Photoshop I severely limited myself to the amount of post-processing, doing only minimal tweaking; mainly dodging and burning. All of this has made me think seriously about steering clear of working with RAW for the near future. Less time sitting in front of a computer means more opportunity to be in the field with a camera.

Your thoughts?

Matthew
Subject Author Posted

NNG: Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum (photos)

mfmalk March 28, 2018 02:33AM

Re: NNG: Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum (photos)

John Meixel March 28, 2018 06:26AM

Franklin Adams March 28, 2018 07:10AM

Greg Scholl March 28, 2018 07:55AM

John Bush March 28, 2018 01:30PM

Greg Scholl March 28, 2018 01:39PM

mfmalk March 28, 2018 05:37PM

mfmalk March 28, 2018 05:22PM

mfmalk March 28, 2018 05:19PM

Re: NNG: Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum (photos) thumbs upthumbs up

Russo Loco March 28, 2018 02:04PM

Re: NNG: Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum (photos) thumbs upthumbs up

mfmalk March 28, 2018 05:46PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login