Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lisbon Trolleys in Colorado

January 01, 2018 07:09PM
Hello,
The two trolleys in Victor and Cripple Creek were imported from Lisbon Portugal, probably in the 1970s. Quite a few cars were brought over from Portugal at this time, often through Paul Class of Oregon. There was also a small fleet of Lisbon cars at Aspen, which were finally dispersed a decade or so ago, after a failed attempt at a heritage trolley in that town.
Photo of the Victor Car, 2009.
Lisbon ran at 900mm gauge, which is very close to 3'. The three foot gauge streetcar at Whitehorse BC is a Lisbon car. One of the Aspen cars has been regauged to standard in Arizona, and another at Issaquah, WA.

I have always thought that an interesting way to have year-round operations for one or a few of the 3' steam railroads in CO, is to take the Cripple Creek car(s) and operate with a wire over part of the tourist RR tracks. It would be a pretty reliable operation in less than ideal weather, with little effort to start up the car and provide a crew.

I'm sorry I don't know much about the car numbers or heritage of either of the Lisbon cars in Victor/Cripple Creek. If they were not manufactured in the US by Brill, they were near duplicates of the design.
O. Anderson
NG-Traction group owner
NG-Traction on Yahoo Groups
Subject Author Posted

Lisbon Trolleys in Colorado

o anderson January 01, 2018 07:09PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login