Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Baker White Pine camp train, but where is it???

December 27, 2017 04:07PM avatar
Brian, I have banged my head about those photos as well. For the time being I will just speculated on the first one. It is interesting that the lead locomotive appears to be shoving a flat car with a cmap structure plus what may be an old coach leading, unless there is yet a 3rd engine up there that we can't see. I imagine this is a very rare photo to see a Climax powered train, with a 2nd Climax as a helper further back. I am fairly certain this is the SVRy mainline due in part to the presence of the phone line. If it were a phone line strung along a logging ROW such as the Curry line, I doubt it would be more than a 2 wire line and probably strung through the trees. I seem to recall finding one or more white wire wrapped insulators along the Curry line that would have been strung from the trees like the old USFS lines. My guess is that the location is just above the McCoy water tank, heading east toward Styx trestle, Alder Springs siding and Larch summit. It would be impossible to get this photo today as the timber has regrown and filled in. Notice the fence below the track which seems to be just closing off a narrow area. I suspect that this fence extended down to the old dam area which was the intake for the McCoy water tank. It was probably to keep cattle out of the spring and pond area so they didn't muddy up the water going to the tank. The other thought that I had, is that unless the photographer was riding the train, this had to be someplace accessible by road and I believe there was once a public road up through there that connected clear through to Sawmill Gulch. It was passable with my full size 4WD pickup a few years ago but we had small reprod brush scraping the sides where only ATV's had been going in recent years. One more bit of speculation. At some point Baker White Pine had to move their camp equipment that had been in use at various sites when they were based out of White Pine, to use at new sites off of the new Curry line. This would have been a 30+mile move over the SVRy worthy of a few photographs. Since SVRy was a very busy railroad in the early 20's they must have made this long slow move very early in the morning or after the last train of the day passed. Feel free to correct me. We should go out there next Spring photo in hand. The Google Earth shot is the location I am thinking of. The two additional photos I took out there a few years ago.
Antelope-McCoy Area.jpg
DSCN0525.JPG
DSCN0527.JPG
Subject Author Posted

Baker White Pine camp train, but where is it??? Attachments

terry fosback December 27, 2017 12:17PM

Re: Baker White Pine camp train, but where is it??? Attachments

J.B.Bane December 27, 2017 04:07PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login