Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My 1st trip to the Cumbres & Toltec

August 11, 2003 09:07PM
Hi guys,
Got back last night from my trip to the C&TS.
I had a GREAT time!! On our way there, we decided to make a quick stop in Antonito. When we go into town, we saw the 487 sitting still hot at about 4:30 or so, they had just finished their run over the hill. I immediatley approached Carlos Llamas and he remembered me from my emails to him. Was so glad to finally see a K-36. What a releif!
We then went on to Chama. After we checked in to the Chama Station Inn, I immediately went to check out the yard. I was flabergasted as to how much equipment there was laying around. I love that cool engine inside the coal tipple (One night I got up at 3:00 to walk around the 487, fired up for the next days run. Got to know the night watchmen, neat guy, had LOTS of stories).
Then I went to see Jay Wimer up the street. Had alot of fun talking with him and finally meeting him. The next day he let me into the shop. I enjoyed seeing 497, which I later sort of used as a virtual playground, and I frequently visited that engine. I was also amazed at how many locomotive parts there were hanging around! I also later on meet all of the shop crewman and talked with them for awhile almost everyday.
I repainted 484's cab with a weird green that at first seemed wrong to me, but I guess turned out to be correct. It doesn't look to bad...Then I helped restore a pipe gon (HARD WORK!). I joined the Friends in May.
I was very glad to meet Jeremy Garcia. I watched him do some switching in the yard on Sunday the 2nd, the day after we arrived in Chama. He approached me on Wednesday after a run from Antonito that Carlos made. Jeremy was very kind to let me ride around the yard in Chama with him on Saturday the 9th. He trusted me enough that he said, "If theres any low spots in the firebox there, go ahead and put a few scoops in". So I got to fire, alittle!
Before that on Monday the 4th, Carlos let me ride in the cab around Cumbres with him after they made a run to Cumbres and then ran back light to Chama. It was a 4 car consist that day.
I appreciate very much that those guys even thought about letting me ride in the cab with them.
I feel like I got alot accomplished during my stay in Chama and went away feeling very good about it. I hated to leave. My dad and I got up at 7:00am, and ended up, without even really realizing it, spent another 2 or 3 hours in Antonito! We watched them leave Antonito one more time after the second crossing, and then picked up and left...
One of the shop crewman one time talking to me got emotional after saying that the railroad is crying for people like me. That kind of got to me. He asked me when I will be 18, after I told him my knowledge of steam and stuff, and how bad I want to work there. I am 18 at the end of my Junior year in High School. I think I will do what he suggested. He suggested that I go next year, be sure that I tell the people in management that I want to work there and what I know. See if I can get a job there the summer before my Senior year, see if I REALLY want to do it. Then of course if I do, after High School, I go off to live my life as a railroad man.
Luckily, for me, my dad talked to some lady in charge of hiring, I think her name is Kim, he told her wanted I wanted to do, and she said, "Tell him to come on". I ended up talking with her later, so now she knows what I look like.
I can say alot more but half of you probably took a glanse at this anyway and said to yourselves, "no way!".
Sorry for being VERY long winded here but I was very anxious to tell you guys about my experince at the Cumbres & Toltec.
By the way Earl, if you read this, Jeremy told me to ask you about the nine steps to firing!
Thanks everyone!
Kevin Bush
A future Cumbres & Toltec Firemen AND Engineer!
Subject Author Posted

My 1st trip to the Cumbres & Toltec

Kevin Bush August 11, 2003 09:07PM

This post is obviously WAY too long *NM*

Kevin Bush August 12, 2003 09:47AM

Re: This post is obviously WAY too long

Mark Valerius August 12, 2003 10:32AM

typo correction

Mark Valerius August 12, 2003 10:39AM

Re: This post is obviously WAY too long

Kevin Bush August 12, 2003 04:38PM

Not at all, Kevin

Mike Trent August 12, 2003 10:59AM

Re: Not at all, Kevin

J.B.Bane August 12, 2003 02:51PM

Re: Not at all, Kevin

Kevin Bush August 12, 2003 04:43PM

Re: Not at all, Kevin *LINK*

Don August 12, 2003 06:23PM

That's All You Wrote? Where's The Rest?

Herb Kelsey August 13, 2003 04:18PM

Re: That's All You Wrote? Where's The Rest?

Kevin Bush August 13, 2003 06:04PM

First Visit

Stevo del Applegato August 14, 2003 10:50AM

Re: First Visit

Fritz Klinke August 14, 2003 11:39AM

Re: First Visit

Kevin Bush August 14, 2003 02:53PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.