Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Como depot revisited, part seven

September 06, 2017 06:51AM
I see that I have been prevented from adding attachments!

I can still write and will explain what I have discovered in the last few days. I have a much older plan of the Como depot that was measured and drawn before the Yardmasters hut decayed away.
I can transcribe the measurements and one measurement in particular was absolutely amazing. And I need to say that I went looking for this and found exactly, exactly what I was expecting and hoping to find.
The width of the Yardmasters hut on the old plan measured 14 feet two and three quarter inches.
And so what you may say but I will point out on the plans that I have posted previously that the building that was thought to be a second extension before I came along measures 13 feet eleven inches wide. A difference of 3 and three quarter inches.
The floor joists under yardmasters hut have had end floor joists nailed under each end. Two times ex 2 inch thick timber, which will be virtually 3&3/4 inches in size. I was expecting this after discussing the floor under the baggage room a few days ago, pointing out that the subframe floor looked to be the same length as the floor joists under the office. So where I was less certain the other day saying only that it looked like it, I feel one hundred percent certain now.

It is unfortunate that I have been blocked from sharing photo attachments. There is so much more that I would like to have shown readers.

It is a shame that the Generals of the DSP&P HS of which I am a member are unable to acknowledge or even respond to what I am showing you. Unfortunately, I am guessing, they see it as some kind of loss of pride. I don`t know.
It is both tragic and a travesty when a historical society will not recognise truths. And there should be people asking why the truth is being hidden? How did it eventuate into this? For what purpose or reason would a Historical Society cling to what has been proven wrong. Unable to acknowledge the work that I have done. Shame. Such hypocrisy. Really!

I believe I could go through again where the Como depot came from and do it better this time, better than I did last time, because I am learning more all the time. But I can no longer do that here.

For the benefit of those who want to know the remainder of the proper dimensions of the Yardmasters hut. The walls north south were 8'3" long. The peak of the pointed walls extended a further 2'2". So the angled walls were in reality only set at a very slight angle. Vastly different to what is there today.
And I will explain why it was this way. Because we should understand that the floor was made from leftovers from the office building after the building was brought to Como in flat wall sections and assembled similar to as you know it now. What was placed on top of that floor was not part of the office. It would have been most probably, a simple four walled shack of some sort. Maybe a miners hut from King.

There is much much more that I could show, and discuss, but it has been made difficult and so I will not bother.

In any case, I have made my point and done it irrefutably. The Como depot And the adjoining office, And the freight room, And the odd wall section in the office North wall all came from somewhere else. All at the same time.
Also, wherever that depot or station came from, the TOB ran the length of the building.
And also, because of the haphazard patches covering the ceiling of the baggage room and the TOB hole in the North wall. The men who reassembled the building were barely carpenters and in one heck of a hurry. And I believe that they just grabbed those scraps from next door. From the Hotel construction site.
I have no doubt that there was a depot in Como in 1879. Equally, I am confident that it was not the depot that was there in 1883.

And I will finish by saying again, you can call me what ever you like. I don`t care. What I care about is being true. True to myself.
Cheers,
John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2017 06:56AM by John Droste2.
Subject Author Posted

Como depot revisited, part seven

John Droste2 September 06, 2017 06:51AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login