Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Como depot revisited, part five

September 02, 2017 06:12AM
Before I go on. I have nothing to gain financially by doing these posts. I am going to alienate anybody that was near to be friends with me. I know that I will never be able to visit America. If I could, I would be there now, in Denver. None of this does anything for my self esteem, on the contrary. I do it because I want people to understand that the depot has a history different from what is understood, from what has been recorded.
A DSP&P fan said to me recently that it is not possible to know what happened in Como before 1883 because that is when the first photo was taken. Others say that because it is not documented, it can not be true. Well there was nobody around at the time to record the dinosaurs millions of years ago but we seem to be learning much about them.
Not all the photos that I have used are by Ken Smith but I am grateful to him for allowing me to use them. If it were not for Ken`s fine photography then I would not be able reveal the join in the wall between the waiting room and office.
so thank you Ken. Your photo CD of the South Park line is simply amazing.

"Photos used by permission Copyright Ken Smith Photography All Rights Reserved.”
www.steamandmorephotography.com

Other photos that I have used without permission of the owners, I regret doing that but I feel that this is important enough to do it.
What more can I say!

The wall between the depot office and waiting room is in two halves same as the very north wall (actually four pieces of wall) and the waiting room/baggage room wall. Each of these walls have been reclad or double clad.

A couple of photos here taken from different angles. They show that the half wall with the ticket window is double clad and that the cladding underneath the outer surface runs horizontally. Rain has washed down inside the wall and flushed the dirt out between the outer joins. The trellis wall is just to the west side of center and there is no signs of the dirt coming through the wall on that side although there are plenty of inexplicable patches in the wall, unless you understand that the buildings have a history prior to Como.
DSCF9025.JPG

This is another photo showing the same but from a different angle. It is not a trick of the light.
DSCF9038.JPG

I could write about these photos in great length and I may refer back to them later, but in short, if you happen to be a journey man. The floor is several layers thick which would equal the compensation of the sections of floor frame in the baggage room with the packers on top of the floor bearers. The center line join in the north wall can be seen on the right, The panel behind the bricks on the floor through the doorway was actually a doorway outside. And if you are a journeyman you will understand that the little blocks of wood at the top of the architraves in the west wall window are covering holes from the head of the window frame when a window was inserted there that would match the "theme" in architecture on the facade side of the building.
The patch in the floor under the join in the north wall is worth a post on its own because it explains why the depot was perpendicular to the hotel and not parallel to the track, as you would expect when the depot was supposedly there before the hotels, plural.
The cladding on the ceiling runs in the opposite direction that it should when you see that the roof ridge line runs in the opposite direction as in the photo below.

Gaze at this photo below. It is like trying to identify objects in a fog. The hotel wall above the depot has two steps down moving towards the rear of the building. It was not designed to have the upper story that was built on later.
I believe very strongly that the pitch of the roof of the "second addition" carried through across the "first addition", possibly with a hip rafter that caressed the corner of the hotel. Hence the new roof over part of the office.
depot 001.JPG

But the photo above is a distraction from my purpose although interesting. The narrow doorway is still here in front of the freight room. And the 'what appeared to be' a work car or caboose before I took the photo of my monitor is in front of the doorway that I pointed out in the office.

I am tired, running off track to my intended purpose, so will return when I am fresher. But there is still food for thought here.
Subject Author Posted

Como depot revisited, part five Attachments

John Droste2 September 02, 2017 06:12AM

Re: Como depot revisited, part five Attachments

Chris Walker September 03, 2017 12:32AM

Re: Como depot revisited, part five

John Droste2 September 03, 2017 03:53AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login