Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Locust Heights & Western Railroad

August 19, 2017 02:36PM
Link to Photographs

Photos from my recent trip to the Locust Heights & Western Railroad in Clarksburg, WV. Built by the late Keith Mason with help from his family and friends, the LH&W RR has operated since 1974. While this narrow gauge backyard railroad was used to transport logs the short distance from the log yard to the Mason Family's sawmill, it mostly transported passengers, offering free train rides to anyone who showed up on Wednesday nights, May to October. Today the sawmill is gone, but the passenger operation still exists, relying on donations to keep it going. Recent boiler repairs to the line's replica Class A Climax locomotive prompted photographers, Walter Scriptunas II and Matthew Wilson to host a rare photo charter on the line to raise funds to offset the boiler work. If I remember correctly, 18 photographers participated in the afternoon photo charter and night session. For a line that's only 3/4 of a mile long, the photo opportunities were plentiful. I'm looking forward to attending the next one!

Enjoy,

-Michael

My railroad photos:
www.msummersphotography.com/Railroad
Subject Author Posted

Locust Heights & Western Railroad

mSummers August 19, 2017 02:36PM

Re: Locust Heights & Western Railroad

nedsn3 August 19, 2017 06:23PM

mSummers August 20, 2017 12:14PM

mfmalk August 21, 2017 05:48AM

mSummers August 21, 2017 08:58AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login