Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: NNG Convention attendees get 50% Discount on Motor Car Rides on the D&SNG

June 21, 2017 10:19AM
When I first saw the link I was thinking it was 50% off the $250.00, but now I see that is 50% off $500.00. Don't think I would pay $500.00 for a motor car ride, although it might be interesting. What got me thinking was at $250.00 it just might be worth it to a hard core photographer who wants that one shot or two. The downside is there are only 2 trains running at this time of year. They state you will get a shot of train 461 going toward Silverton, and 464 coming back. Not sure which train is 464(first or second???) Probably the second one. Anyway here is an interesting idea. Take the motor car and do the runby of 461 with the group. Then have them drop you at a spot for the second train. This could be anywhere along the line. Then you will be there until something comes back south in the afternoon, so plan accordingly. I assume you can still flag a train on the line. You can find a location you want for the southbound and get the first train, and the second train. If the motorcar comes first you can ride that and do the second one with them. Otherwise you will have to flag the second train after your photo and ride to Rockwood with them. Here is an interesting plan.

(1) first shot with the motorcar folks of the first train to Silverton. Then have them drop you at Needleton Tank.
(2) Shoot the arrival of train 2 at the tank, and maybe even watering some.
(3) Shoot the departure from Needleton Tank. This should be great action
(4) shot of the return trip of train 1. Train stops for water. You could shoot that or something else in the area.
(5) Flag the motor car and do the 464 runby with them, and go back to your car with them
option for 5 is let the motor car go, and flag the last steam train and board it. If you are still in Needleton they will stop for water there anyway.

Some of this depends on where the motorcar does its runbys, and where you can flag the regular trains. But it is food for thought. Its still a bit expense for 4-5 shots, but you do ride the motorcar a fair bit of this plan.

Anyone else think this is interesting. Ride would have to be during these dates, and then its $250.00.

Greg Scholl

PS Do they offer these trips when they are running 3 steam trains per day???
Subject Author Posted

NNG Convention attendees get 50% Discount on Motor Car Rides on the D&SNG

Chris Webster June 15, 2017 08:32PM

round_house June 16, 2017 06:09AM

jalbers June 20, 2017 01:12PM

Johnson Barr June 20, 2017 04:09PM

jalbers June 21, 2017 09:23AM

Greg Scholl June 21, 2017 10:19AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login