Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Dual gauge question

May 18, 2017 05:50AM
Hi,

My Guess:

The original narrow gauge Denver to Ogden line was built without thought to dual gauge. When dual gauge was built starting from Denver, it was continuous down the front range and into the mountains to both Leadville and Alamosa.Narrow gauge continued over Tennessee Pass down to Rifle (IIRC) where the SG overtook the NG to complete the dual gauge line to Grand Junction. Interesting to note that the C&S dual gauge in Denver was opposite the D&RGW dual gauge.

The narrow gauge line from Salt Lake City to Grand Junction was set by conditions in Utah.

When the Rio Grande Junction (IIRC) connected the SG line from Rifle to Grand Junction the narrow gauge yards had to be dual gauged. I think the mainline west to Utah was still NG but being readied for conversion. The happenstance of dual gauge in Grande Junction may have been thought out or arbitrarily set as to where the common rail was set. The dual gauging of the ng lines from Grande Junction to Montrose was based on the set up chosen for Grand Junction which happened to be opposite from Denver.

Did Utah's common rail have any affect on the Grande Junction dual gauge - I do not know.

Choose you poison.

Doug vV

--------------------------
Carrie Fisher quotes:

Instant gratification takes too long.

I was street smart, but unfortunately the street was Rodeo Drive.

--------------------------

Luna Lovelace (Harry Potter):

I sleepwalk you know that's why I wear shoes to bed.
Subject Author Posted

Dual gauge question

risrwy May 17, 2017 02:23PM

bcp May 17, 2017 02:28PM

nickgully May 17, 2017 07:38PM

risrwy May 18, 2017 04:58AM

dougvv May 18, 2017 05:50AM

The Great Conversion; a few quibbles.

hank May 18, 2017 11:26AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login