Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

EBT Chance Coal Cleaner - some model content SG 3-way stub on EBT

May 02, 2017 06:57AM
Hi,

I have a 36" x 13.5' place to put a small shelf layout. I can expand one end to 42" for about 3' and the block the door and place a fold down loop so I can have a SG loop for my PRR locos to run.

I have a Mt Union like cut off to a dual gauge yard for transferring goods. I have been having problems putting a coaling trestle like the Chama and Antonito ones and using it for both fueling locos and transferring to SG hoppers - just not enough room.

I thought about the Chance Coal Cleaner photos on the EBT (page 128 of Rainey and Kyper's book East Broad Top. I do not seem to quite understand how this operation worked. There seems to be 6-7 tracks that are serviced by the plant (5 under the building). All tracks are dual gauge.

According to the map on page 94, the photos from page 128 seem to be taken of the north side of the complex. There is a coal trestle off the end of the wye some 700-odd feet southwest of the flotation facility (I think a grocery store is/was built over the tail track of the wye location when I first visited in the 1980s).

Where did the EBT dump the coal to get into the flotation plant? I see no trestles or anything that suggests how it was done.

Thanks.

Doug vV

P.S. A few months ago one of the threads touched on the EBT experiment of hauling 36" gauge mine cars by an EBT 2-8-0 all the way to Mt Union. A photo is on page 136.

As for the RGS being known to have used 3-way stubs until 1951-2, On page 167 of the EBT book there is a photo of an EBT 3-way SG stub switch in use in 1952 and probably was in use until 1956. If it is there today, could someone take a photo and post it?

--------------------------
Carrie Fisher quotes:

Instant gratification takes too long.

I was street smart, but unfortunately the street was Rodeo Drive.

--------------------------

Luna Lovelace (Harry Potter):

I sleepwalk you know that's why I wear shoes to bed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2017 07:00AM by dougvv.
Subject Author Posted

EBT Chance Coal Cleaner - some model content SG 3-way stub on EBT

dougvv May 02, 2017 06:57AM

Re: EBT Chance Coal Cleaner - some model content SG 3-way stub on EBT Attachments

Popeye8762 May 02, 2017 08:31AM

Re: EBT Chance Coal Cleaner - some model content SG 3-way stub on EBT Attachments

dougvv May 02, 2017 09:37AM

Re: EBT Chance Coal Cleaner - some model content SG 3-way stub on EBT

bcp May 02, 2017 12:14PM

William Adams May 02, 2017 11:04AM

dougvv May 02, 2017 01:06PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login