Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Styx / Alder trestle?

April 16, 2017 12:30PM avatar
The Baker Heritage Museum is well worth a visit for anyone coming to the Baker area looking for history. The museum is housed in the old Natatorium building and is very well done. Some of the early primary people with Sumpter Valley Railroad Restoration Inc. were also involved in saving this historic building and starting the museum. Back around 1973 my dad and I traveled to Baker with the guy who had the contract to demolish the beautiful brick UP depot. We salvaged a few things out of the building related to the heating system before it was town down as well as a few rr artifacts. I recall that we stopped at the Natatorium as the demolition guy was in negotiations to knock it down as well. Sure glad that did not happen. There are a few items at the museum on long term loan from SVRR including the oil can that Chris Karp was using to oil around either 250 or 251 at S.Wye water tank in a well known photo. They have the oil can mounted adjacent to a copy of the photo. I visited with the curator last winter when picking up some items being returned from loan about a photo that I noticed a caption problem with. She seemed happy for the correction. The Baker County Library has a very extensive on line photo collection. The BCL's curator told me that the soft ware they have which he did not recommend requires them to completely take the site down to make changes, so they only do so every couple years. Perhaps the BHM has the same issue.
Subject Author Posted

Styx / Alder trestle? Attachments

terry fosback April 16, 2017 02:27AM

J.B.Bane April 16, 2017 10:08AM

bcp April 16, 2017 11:05AM

terry fosback April 16, 2017 12:24PM

J.B.Bane April 16, 2017 12:30PM

Brian Norden April 16, 2017 05:19PM

Taylor Rush April 19, 2017 06:42PM

Re: Johnson's vs Ferguson's . . . eye popping smiley

Johnson Barr April 26, 2017 08:22PM

bcp April 26, 2017 08:41PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login