Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hofius Steel & Equip. Co. in Seattle WA

February 05, 2017 05:33PM avatar
The business name "Hofius Steel & Equip. Co, Seattle WA" appears regularly in various threads at NGDF. As a formercool smiley resident of Seattle, I have often wondered exactly where in Seattle Hofius was located. Today I found an address of "First Avenue South and Alaska Street". The reference was in this PDF document:
[web6.seattle.gov]
That PDF is a scanned image and not searchable, but the reference is about 3/4 of the way through the file, labeled as page 14, but it is clearly not the 14th page of the entire document.

This is what they say about Hofius:
Seattle Landmarks Preservation Board
Hofius Steel & Equipment Company plant at First Avenue South and Alaska Street (1924-25). This 12 acre site was expected to have, when completed, a two story concrete office building measuring 60 by 190 feet; a warehouse measuring 30x200 feet and a locomotive roundhouse for repair work, measuring 90 by 200 feet. The work was valued at $125,000.
FYI, the 'landmark' that they are discussing preserving is not Hofius Steel and Equipment. eye rolling smiley

That address is just to the west of what is today UP Railroad's Argo Yard. Google Map of the site:
[www.google.com]

Waste Management's Alaska Street Reload is the most obvious rail-served business in the area, but Bloch Steel, just to the north of WM is also rail served. I don't know the vintage of the buildings right there, but from the elongated shape it seems possible that some of those surviving structures may have been occupied by Hofius earlier. There is no "roundhouse" there though. smiling smiley

A photo of part the Hofius Equipment yard in Seattle appears in this currently active thread:
[ngdiscussion.net]
See the post by OLCO107 regarding NMLC Shay 7.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2017 05:36PM by Rader Sidetrack.
Subject Author Posted

Hofius Steel & Equip. Co. in Seattle WA

Rader Sidetrack February 05, 2017 05:33PM

Re: Hofius Steel & Equip. Co. in Seattle WA

bcp February 05, 2017 05:39PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login