Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SG - Splicing locomotives and sacred metal.

February 01, 2017 08:12PM
Hi,

Occasionally there comes a thread here about merging (for instance) 492 and 497.

The argument gets tiring and I hope I do not start the argument again.

However here is a funny story about the PRR and sharknose diesels that were connected by drawbars and the need to keep motive power on the road.

"
The late Carl Korn told of the time when he was 2nd trick Asst. Foreman at Harrisburg Diesel Shop when two sets of Centipedes were shopped – each with one defective unit. At the time both units of each pair carried the same number distinguished only by the “A” and “B” suffix as they were semi-permanently coupled with draw bars. Power was short that night and Carl became resourceful; he cut each pair apart, coupled the working units together and sent them on their way while the other two bad order units remained shopped. But ultimately those units were also repaired and returned to service.

All went well for a week or two until one night when an Operator somewhere on the Pittsburgh Division reported two trains running side by side on adjacent tracks at nearly the same time with identical engine numbers. Thereafter each unit of each pair got a separate number.

This story is told more completely and with greater detail in Carl’s own words in Issue #1 of the Keystone Chronicles, April 2001.
"

Enjoy.

Doug vV

--------------------------
Carrie Fisher quotes:

Instant gratification takes too long.

I was street smart, but unfortunately the street was Rodeo Drive.

--------------------------

Luna Lovelace (Harry Potter):

I sleepwalk you know that's why I wear shoes to bed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2017 09:46PM by dougvv.
Subject Author Posted

SG - Splicing locomotives and sacred metal.

dougvv February 01, 2017 08:12PM

Re: SG - Splicing locomotives and sacred metal.

rdamurphy February 01, 2017 09:16PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login