Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Living Museum

October 18, 2016 03:40PM
Hi,

Here is "proof" that the C&TS is considered a Living Museum and that acquisition of a K-28 of a high importance.

We know there has been much change since 1980 such as the rebuilding of bridges on the Silverton and running of heavier locomotives to Silverton by the D&S. Some of the UTLX/Gramps tank cars have returned.

Some have claimed that the C&TS is an economic engine only. I would like to see proof from somewhere that Living Museum was not in the original legislation.

I would also like to see proof that the Commission owning the C&TS was or was not to have a living museum.

If they started out with living museum, has the laws been amended or the Commission's instructions been changed to remove living museum.

The Historic Preservation study was done as a guideline to govern the historical aspects of the line as opposed to the operator's needs. The operator may not need a K-27, but the living museum might need one.

I am curious about being sure what the current instructions governing the C&TS railroad collective (property - RR Commission, operator, Friends) are.

I believe the answer is operating railroad AND living museum but there has been other opinions. I would like to know the facts as they currently are in force.

Doug vV

Historic Preservation study C&TS.JPG

"During the 1920s a newly reorganized and relatively prosperous D&RGW recognized the antiquity of the narrow gauge lines and basic modernization was begun. One of the main elements of modernizing was new motive power to supplement the 20 year old K-27 class and to retire the remaining old timers from the 1880s. The K-28 class was purchased from the American Locomotive Company in 1923. There were ten locomotives in the class, numbered 470-479. They became immediately popular in passenger service and were soon known as \"sports\" models. All served on the Cumbres route, but through the chance of history none are likely to become available to the C&TSRR.

During World War II the Army requesitioned seven of the ten K-28 class locomotives for service on the White Pass and Yukon Railway between Skagway, Alaska and Whitehorse, Yukon Territory. Heavy wartime and the rigors of the north country left them well worn upon their return to Seattle in 1945. Shortly thereafter they were sold for scrap. The three remaining K-28 locomotives continued to pull the San Juan Limited for years. They are now in use on the Silverton Branch where weight limits on certain bridges prohibit heavier locomotives. All three are hauling long yellow passenger trains. They are all needed for the present service at Silverton, so it is unlikely that any will become available available to the C&TS in the future.

On the other hand, should the Silverton ever cease operation, or should it rebuild the bridges and use its heavier locomotives, then there may be the possibility of obtaining a K-28 for the C&TSRR. This would be a very desirable from a preservation and museum viewpoint because the the C&TSRR would then have an example of all modern D&RGW classes of narrow-gauge steam locomotives."

--------------------------
Carrie Fisher quotes:

Instant gratification takes too long.

I was street smart, but unfortunately the street was Rodeo Drive.

--------------------------

Luna Lovelace (Harry Potter):

I sleepwalk you know that's why I wear shoes to bed.
Subject Author Posted

Living Museum Attachments

dougvv October 18, 2016 03:40PM

Re: Living Museum

hsuthe October 18, 2016 05:00PM

CharlieMcCandless October 18, 2016 05:29PM

One Nasty Problem

CharlieMcCandless October 18, 2016 05:38PM

Re: One Nasty Problem

dougvv October 18, 2016 08:05PM

CharlieMcCandless October 18, 2016 08:32PM

dougvv October 18, 2016 10:00PM

curmudgeon October 18, 2016 05:53PM

John Cole October 18, 2016 07:08PM

dougvv October 18, 2016 07:33PM

michael October 18, 2016 05:59PM

narrowgaugejoe10 October 19, 2016 11:13AM

michael October 18, 2016 10:51PM

dougvv October 19, 2016 09:42AM

El Nehi October 20, 2016 07:53PM

dougvv October 20, 2016 11:49PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login