Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CAN ANYONE HELP? What Are The Orig. LIMA SHAY Builders Plate Dimensions? (w/Pics)

September 27, 2016 01:54PM
Hello, I'm no Shay expert, but I have been collecting locomotive builders plates for a while now. I know that size is important to determining whether a plate is original or not. Castings off original plates are smaller . My question is this: Does anyone know the size dimensions of these original Shay builders plates I've posted example photos of? I have an opportunity to possibly trade for one of this exact type/style. I own a non Lima Shay Builders plate that is also a "diamond shape and measures:16 inches in length by 9 + 1/4 inches in height. I know that the Lima Shay "diamond" plates with the patent numbers on the bottom are smaller than the more common larger Lima diamond plates. (photos included below) I would absolutely love to have a Shay plate in my collection but I am not comfortable trading unless someone out there that is an EXPERT on Shay plates and could provide me with the true /actual original dimensions of the smaller diamond style (with patent dates). This way I can be sure that the plate is the "Real McCoy"! If it turns out to be the correct size I will then proceed with the trade and be sure to share some photos with the forum!

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could provide,

-Lucas

Examples of the smaller Lima Shay Plate's of which I am trying to confirm dimensions:

Link to full size photo of first builders plate example

Link to second full size builders plate image
Subject Author Posted

CAN ANYONE HELP? What Are The Orig. LIMA SHAY Builders Plate Dimensions? (w/Pics)

steam.loco.notion September 27, 2016 01:54PM

Re: CAN ANYONE HELP? What Are The Orig. LIMA SHAY Builders Plate Dimensions? (w/Pics)

LOGGERHOGGER September 29, 2016 06:30AM

Re: CAN ANYONE HELP? What Are The Orig. LIMA SHAY Builders Plate Dimensions? (w/Pics)

trainrider47 September 29, 2016 01:16PM

LOGGERHOGGER September 29, 2016 02:42PM

hudsonut1 October 01, 2016 06:49PM

Ted miles October 05, 2016 09:17PM

Re: CAN ANYONE HELP? What Are The Orig. LIMA SHAY Builders Plate Dimensions? (w/Pics) Attachments

LOGGERHOGGER October 07, 2016 06:54AM

J.B.Bane October 10, 2016 11:11PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login