Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sumpter Valley Railroad track layout for a model railroad: Baker, Whitney. etc.

June 24, 2016 04:48PM avatar
Because of health problems I have had to take a year off of volunteering on the Sumpter Valley so I am building some things with materials I have been collecting over the years. I am working on my O scale model railroad designed as a sectional to fit on seven (!) hollow core doors total size 28x35 feet. I have racks to store them and room inside to set up two sections at a time, all may be set up outdoors or at shows. I have sections 1 and 2 started in about two weeks work. It will be pretty freelanced in standard and On30. In addition to the doors, I plan on having additional removable foot wide foam rubber scenery extensions all around to give a little more open space.

Section 1 is the Natoma Street Industrial District, San Francisco, California.
My dad worked in a paper products warehouse in San Francisco in the '60s, originally on Natoma St, later (late '60s) moved to Minnesota St. where they had rail access. I remember being about five years old and watching them unload box cars from the middle of the street with a forklift, not clearly, but also seem to remember orange and silver locomotives which would be Western Pacific. They didn't have rail on Natoma St. but I liked that name better.

The rest of the layout is to be more Oregon/ Idaho in nature.
Section 2 has a lower level standard gauge line connecting 'San Francisco' with a corner section #3 over a river much like Malcom Furlow's 'Crazy Horse Bridge' on his San Juan Central, so a little bit of Colorado too. The standard gauge will be over the river some too so kind of like the Roaring Camp and Big Trees double trestle we visited in the '70s.
IMG_5891shrink.jpg

The upper area of section 2 is to be a narrow gauge mountain town 12" above the standard gauge (sections 3-5 are 4-5% grade up to this town) like Whitney (or Larch?) on the SVRy.

Sections 4 and 5 are mostly narrow gauge logging, somehow fitting in a couple logging areas into 3x7' each, with a standard gauge gravel pit occupying a lower area on section 5.

Sections 6 and 7 are a dual gauge terminal currently laid out like Furlow's town of Montrose. I really liked the looks of this with the odd creek between the turntable and engine house.
IMG_5892shrink.jpg

I would like, though, to make this more like a terminal on the SVRy. Though Baker was the only area with dual gauge trackage, I think I would have to use something smaller as a prototype as I will have no room for a round house.

So I have searched these forums, the 'Rails Sagebrush and Pine' book and the net and have some up with some photos and maps of the narrow gauge in Baker but not much else. Any suggestions as to how I should layout these towns 'The Terminal' and 'The Mountain Town', so be somewhat prototypical of SVRy towns?

Here is my scanned plan, not too clear, sorry, but should give you an idea of what I am doing.
OScaleLayout Black and White2.jpg

Here is a photo of progress so far at the Emmett Cherry Festival Train Show:
IMG_5836shrink.jpg

And a link to a video of the first test of the two sections in our over-stuffed garage:
First test of the Natoma Street Industrial District

I haven't really decided on a name for my railroad yet either so could use a little help there too...

Russell Courtenay
Idaho, USA
Subject Author Posted

Sumpter Valley Railroad track layout for a model railroad: Baker, Whitney. etc. Attachments

UnknownIdaho June 24, 2016 04:48PM

Re: Sumpter Valley Railroad track layout for a model railroad: Baker, Whitney. etc.

bcp June 24, 2016 06:01PM

Re: Sumpter Valley Railroad track layout for a model railroad: Baker, Whitney. etc. Attachments

UnknownIdaho June 25, 2016 03:42PM

Re: Sumpter Valley Railroad track layout for a model railroad: Baker, Whitney. etc. Attachments

J.B.Bane June 25, 2016 04:15PM

Re: Sumpter Valley Railroad track layout for a model railroad: Baker, Whitney. etc.

UnknownIdaho June 25, 2016 05:14PM

Nelson Bros Lumber Co. June 25, 2016 06:29PM

UnknownIdaho June 25, 2016 08:16PM

bcp June 25, 2016 08:26PM

UnknownIdaho June 25, 2016 10:24PM

Chris Walker June 25, 2016 04:28PM

UnknownIdaho June 25, 2016 05:13PM

UnknownIdaho June 26, 2016 05:12PM

Nelson Bros Lumber Co. June 26, 2016 04:55PM

Nelson Bros Lumber Co. June 26, 2016 04:59PM

UnknownIdaho June 27, 2016 12:18PM

UnknownIdaho June 27, 2016 03:53PM

J.B.Bane June 27, 2016 06:32PM

UnknownIdaho June 27, 2016 06:56PM

J.B.Bane June 27, 2016 08:24PM

bcp June 27, 2016 11:23PM

UnknownIdaho June 28, 2016 12:15AM

J.B.Bane June 28, 2016 08:40AM

bcp June 28, 2016 11:20PM

UnknownIdaho June 29, 2016 09:58AM

J.B.Bane June 29, 2016 10:08AM

UnknownIdaho June 29, 2016 10:33AM

J.B.Bane June 29, 2016 12:17PM

UnknownIdaho June 29, 2016 03:30PM

J.B.Bane June 29, 2016 05:47PM

UnknownIdaho June 29, 2016 07:09PM

terry fosback June 29, 2016 06:55PM

bcp June 30, 2016 10:24PM

J.B.Bane June 30, 2016 11:59PM

UnknownIdaho June 27, 2016 09:32PM

UnknownIdaho June 29, 2016 11:27PM

J.B.Bane June 29, 2016 11:42PM

UnknownIdaho June 30, 2016 12:09AM

UnknownIdaho June 28, 2016 03:38PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login