Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Denver DRG Station 1871-1879

June 11, 2015 04:24PM
I have been researching a building for a number of years because of its peculiarities. I now believe it is the building in the subject heading.
Reasons being are that the timeline is right. The building has a number of notches cut into the cross walls at the hieght of the semaphore arm that now cross the building in the opposite direction. THe DRG Station was peculiar in that it was positioned end on to the line! The notches in the wall are just the right size for semaphore end cog and mounting block to slide through. The building no longer has a hip roof but obviously must have been of a hip roof design originally.
What I also find interesting about this building is that the end freight room added been added to the station building itself. Indications are that this building was a stage house or some kind of stable looking at the original door openings. I find this interesting because the first freight that was moved along the line was pulled by animals.
I am looking for more information on the original building before I reveal where this building is today. Photos, measurements, drawings, anecdotal information?
Another interesting matter that I wish to follow up on in relation to this matter is another building also. It looks for all intent and purposes like it was constructed to be used as a rudementary telegraph building. It is close by to the station building that I write about here. I am going out on a limb on this one but if Jay Gould was in control of the DRG in 1879 when the station went out of commision and I believe that it was the control of the UP or KP that brought the telegraph to Denver some time before any rail roads arival, I am wondering if this structure is the first telegraph office. So any information on that buildings first location, dimensions or any anecdotal information would also be greatly appreciated.
I am confident regarding the station. The Telegraph building is just a hunch.
Would appreciate any further leads or information or history regarding these buildings.
Thank you,
John Droste
jdroste2@bigpond.com
Subject Author Posted

Denver DRG Station 1871-1879

John Droste2 June 11, 2015 04:24PM

Re: Denver DRG Station 1871-1879 Attachments

Jeff Ramsey June 12, 2015 09:27PM

Re: Denver DRG Station 1871-1879

John Droste2 December 04, 2016 03:49PM

Re: Denver DRG Station 1871-1879

John Droste2 June 13, 2015 04:23AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login