Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

West Side Lumber Company Caboose #5

March 23, 2015 06:58PM
All - Throwing out a new subject which is caboose #5. This is the same caboose that Dave Braun had owned and later stored at Ken Yeo's place in Auburn, CA when I last saw it around 1987. In Mallory Ferrell's WSLC book he listed the car built on a J. Hammond flat in 1919. I don't have any information on the frame dimensions of these early pre 1910 built flats but would like to know if anyone has any correct numbers for these flats.
I looked over caboose #5's underbody frame today and it is the same one that was on the car when it was purchased by the Northern Queen Inn and rebuilt as an excursion car. I took photo's of the stripped down frame at that time. Due to platforms being added the end sill may not be correct but appears so. The sills are old but painted with a white paint and are holding up well. I believe the car frame was rebuilt at least once, probably when they made a caboose out of it. The reason I am thinking this is that the dimensions are very different from the later twenties on built West Side flats.
Lateral Sill - 8 x 8 inch
Intermediate Sill - 4 x 7 1/2 inch
Center Sill - 6 x 8 inch - May have been replaced when rebuilt 1980's
Body Bolster - 4 x 12 inch
Needle Beam - 4 x 5 3/4 inch (6)
End Sill - 6 x 8 inch.
img012.jpg
Subject Author Posted

West Side Lumber Company Caboose #5 Attachments

LooseCaboose March 23, 2015 06:58PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login