Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Grades of the United Verde & Pacific

November 28, 2014 10:41AM
Hey all, A.J. here again.

I've been digging into the UP&V again and trying to dig up some more info on the railroad. In this case, the grades along the route. I have the book "Narrow Gauge to Jerome" and that has been pretty informative, but I'm having trouble discerning the grades along the route.

There is the Horseshoe Curve and the book notes just past the 140 degree curved trestle is a 3% grade. Though the book also says there's a 3% down grade to the bridge, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Of course I could have misread the info to. However these are the only mentions of gradients on the line in the book as near as I can tell. So I'm curious as to the rest of the route's grades.

I know this at least, the grades are fairly gentle as the line works up to a point called Russel. Prematurely called "Summit", as the original route survey placed this as the highest point on the line, until the route was changed to go higher up on the slopes of Woodchute Mt. to avoid some of the harsher topography of the mountain. The actual summit being First View along the line. Anyway, from Russel to Bodkin is downgrade and from Bodkin the line goes upgrade to First View, and then descends into Jerome.

There is a route map and track profile in the book, but no specific mentions of grades. Does anyone know where this info can be found? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
Subject Author Posted

Grades of the United Verde & Pacific

Andrew Davis November 28, 2014 10:41AM

Re: Grades of the United Verde & Pacific

rehunn November 28, 2014 10:45AM

Andrew Davis November 28, 2014 10:49AM

ROW Explorer November 28, 2014 01:33PM

Andrew Davis November 28, 2014 09:28PM

Collection of the United Verde & Pacific

bcp November 28, 2014 02:52PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login